1563 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- January 13 – The Accademia e Compagnia delle Arti del Disegno ("Academy and company of the arts of drawing") is established in Florence by Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany, under the influence of Giorgio Vasari.
- December 4 – The Council of Trent issues a decree on the proper function of Roman Catholic art.
- date unknown - The Medici court astronomer Fra Ignazio Danti paints 57 maps at the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.
- Giuseppe Arcimboldo paints his first The Four Seasons series.
- Pieter Brueghel the Elder paints Landscape with the Flight into Egypt and The Tower of Babel.
- Niccolò Circignani paints the Concert in the Government Room of the Città della Pieve in Umbria.
- Lucas de Heere paints a portrait of Mary, Queen of Scots.
- Giovanni Battista Moroni paints The Count Pietro Secco Suardo.
- Francesco Primaticcio paints Odysseus and Penelope.
- Bernaert de Rijckere paints a portrait diptych of Antwerp merchant Adriaan van Santvoort and his family.
- Paolo Veronese completes painting The Wedding at Cana (1562-1563).
- date unknown
- Grazio Cossali, Italian painter (died 1629)
- Ercole dell'Abate, Italian painter (died 1618)
- Benedetto Gennari, Italian painter of the early-Baroque period (died 1658)
- Orazio Gentileschi, Italian Baroque Caravaggisti painter (died 1639)
- Anton Möller, Polish painter (died 1611)
- Heo Nanseolheon, Korean poet and painter (died 1589)
- Francesco Vanni, Italian mannerist painter (died 1610)
- June 4 - George Heriot, Scottish goldsmith, jeweler, and philanthropist (died 1624)