|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||1st century – 2nd century – 3rd century|
|Decades:||150s 160s 170s – 180s – 190s 200s 210s|
|Years:||182 183 184 – 185 – 186 187 188|
|185 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||938|
|Chinese calendar||甲子年 (Wood Rat)
2881 or 2821
— to —
乙丑年 (Wood Ox)
2882 or 2822
|Coptic calendar||−99 – −98|
|- Vikram Samvat||241–242|
|- Shaka Samvat||107–108|
|- Kali Yuga||3286–3287|
|Iranian calendar||437 BP – 436 BP|
|Islamic calendar||450 BH – 449 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1727 before ROC
|Seleucid era||496/497 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||727–728|
Year 185 (CLXXXV) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Lascivius and Atilius (or, less frequently, year 938 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 185 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Nobles of Britain demand that Commodus rescind all power given to Tigidius Perennis, who is eventually executed.
- Publius Helvius Pertinax is made governor of Britain and quells a mutiny of the British Roman legions who wanted him to become emperor. The disgruntled usurpers go on to attempt to assassinate the governor.
- Tigidius Perennis, his family and many others are executed for conspiring against Commodus.
- Emperor Commodus drains Rome's treasury to put on gladiatorial spectacles and confiscates property to support his pleasures. He participates as a gladiator and boasts of victory in 1,000 matches in the Circus Maximus.
- Reign in India of Vasudeva, Kushan emperor.
- Zhi Yao, a Kushan Buddhist monk of Yuezhi ethnicity, translates Buddhist texts into the Chinese language during the Han Dynasty.
- February – The rebels of the Yellow Turban are defeated by the imperial army, but only two months later, the rebellion breaks out again. It spreads to the Taihang Mountains on the western border of Hebei Province.
Arts and sciences
- Cleomedes discovers the refraction of light by the Earth's atmosphere.
- A supernova now known as SN 185 is noted by Chinese astronomers in the Astrological Annals of the Houhanshu, making it the earliest recorded supernova.
- Origen, Christian theologian (approximate date) (d. 253 or 254)
- Wang Xiang, minister of Wei (d. 269)