From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- 13 – The first electrical street lights in Cape Town are switched on.
- Unknown date
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2013)
Railway lines opened
- 1 December – Natal – Charlestown to Natal-Transvaal border, 2 miles 45 chains (4.1 kilometres).
- 15 December – Transvaal – Natal-Transvaal border to Union Junction near Alberton, 157 miles (252.7 kilometres).
- ^ a b c Statement Showing, in Chronological Order, the Date of Opening and the Mileage of Each Section of Railway, Statement No. 19, p. 183, ref. no. 200954-13
- ^ Baxter, Antony. The Two Foot Gauge Enigma (1st ed.). Plateway Press. pp. 37-45 & Appendix V. ISBN 1-871980-34-8.
- ^ Railway Modelling Scene, South Africa, May/June 1985, article written by Neill Mardell
- ^ Paxton, Leith; Bourne, David (1985). Locomotives of the South African Railways (1st ed.). Cape Town: Struik. pp. 103–104. ISBN 0869772112.