|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||40s 50s 60s – 70s – 80s 90s 100s|
|Years:||73 74 75 – 76 – 77 78 79|
|76 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||829|
|Chinese calendar||乙亥年 (Wood Pig)
2772 or 2712
— to —
丙子年 (Fire Rat)
2773 or 2713
|Coptic calendar||−208 – −207|
|- Vikram Samvat||132–133|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3177–3178|
|Iranian calendar||546 BP – 545 BP|
|Islamic calendar||563 BH – 562 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1836 before ROC
|Seleucid era||387/388 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||618–619|
Year 76 (LXXVI) was a leap year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Augustus and Vespasianus (or, less frequently, year 829 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 76 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Vespasianus Augustus and Titus Caesar Vespasianus become Roman Consul.
- Governor Sextus Julius Frontinus subdues the Silures and other hostile tribes of Wales, establishing a fortress at Caerleon or Isca Augusta for Legio II Augusta and makes a network of smaller forts for his auxiliary forces.
- First year of Jianchu era of the Chinese Han Dynasty.
Arts and sciences
- Chinese historian Ban Gu develops a theory of the origins of the universe.
- September 23 – Pope Linus, second Bishop of Rome
- Quintus Asconius Pedianus, Roman historian (b. c. 9 BC)