The 8G Band
The 8G Band is the house band for Late Night with Seth Meyers. The band is led by Saturday Night Live alumnus Fred Armisen. He assembled the 8G Band, named for the studio where the show is taped, just two weeks before the test show. He texted friends Seth Jabour, Syd Butler and Eli Janney ("What are you guys doing this week?"), then found first drummer Kimberly Thompson through an audition. Guitarist Marnie Stern later joined as well. After Thompson left the band, guest musicians frequently sit in often for an entire week. Some notable names to sit in on the drum kit include: Patrick Carney, Chad Smith, David Lovering, Kenny Aronoff, Jon Theodore, Nicko McBrain, Matt Sorum, Brad Wilk, Darren King, Danny Carey, Abe Cunningham, Dave Lombardo, Brann Dailor, Jimmy Chamberlin, Matt Cameron, and Abe Laboriel Jr. as well as other guest musicians. Additionally singer, guitarist: J Mascis, Bob Mould and others have also sat in with the band.
Fred Armisen at times is gone from the line up to film and promote his TV series Portlandia, thus providing further opportunities for guest musicians to sit in with The 8G Band.
- Fred Armisen (bandleader, rhythm guitar, drums)
- Seth Jabour (lead guitar)
- Syd Butler (bass)
- Eli Janney (keys)
- Marnie Stern (lead/rhythm guitar)
- Kimberly Thompson (drums)
- "Meet the "Late Night with Seth Meyers" 8G Band!". NBC. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- O'Connell, Michael. "Seth Meyers Taps Fred Armisen To Lead 'Late Night' Band With Members of Les Savy Fav, Girls Against Boys". Billboard. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Mora, Celest. "Who Is In the 8G Band on Seth Meyer's 'Late Night'? Get to Know This Awesome Fivesome". Bustle. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
|This article on a United States band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|