AIDS.gov is an internet portal for all Federal domestic HIV and AIDS resources and information. On World AIDS Day, December 1, 2006, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services launched AIDS.gov. The site contains content and links that guide users to their desired information.
AIDS.gov is intended as a resource for the general public, federal staff/agencies, state staff, federal grantees, medical and research institutions, and other HIV and AIDS-related organizations. It is sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Office of Public Health and Science and Office of the Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs and works across the government.
The content, design and development team includes representatives from HHS and other government agencies working on AIDS domestically.
On March 11, 2008, AIDS.gov received the American Association of Webmasters Gold Award. This is a peer-reviewed, criteria-based award for achievement in web design in which rigorous standards of HTML code, web design, technical achievement, and overall content are evaluated.
In August 2010, the AIDS.gov blog was selected as a top government blog on Juggle.com.
In January, 2008, AIDS.gov started a blog on how to use new media tools in response to HIV/AIDS. The blog has since expanded to cover HIV policy and research, as well as new media. AIDS.gov is also engaged in other new media activities —from maintaining a presence on social media sites such as Twitter and YouTube to promoting a text messaging campaign with the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Mobile phone users can text their ZIP code to KNOWIT (566948) and will receive the location of their nearest HIV testing center.
In recognition of the 20th World AIDS Day on December 1, 2008, AIDS.gov took part in several key new media activities: the Facing AIDS initiative, Bloggers Unite for World AIDS Day, and Second Life World AIDS Day events.
In recognition of World AIDS Day on December 1, 2009, AIDS.gov again hosted the Facing AIDS initiative, among other activities. Facing AIDS encouraged people around the country (and world) to take a photo of themselves saying why they were "Facing AIDS" for World AIDS Day and to upload the photo to the Facing AIDS group on Flickr. Over 850 photos were submitted to the Facing AIDS group, and Flickr featured the initiative on its blog.
For National HIV Testing Day (NHTD) 2009, June 27, AIDS.gov shared testing messages from President Obama, and HHS Secretary Sebelius and DC Mayor Fenty. As part of NHTD 2009, AIDS.gov produced the “I Know. I Took the Test” blog series that highlighted campaigns focused on sharing personal HIV testing stories from organizations such as The Positive Project, Southern AIDS Living Quilt, National Association of People with AIDS, and POZ. In addition, in collaboration with the CDC, AIDS.gov developed and promoted an accompanying widget with videos from the campaigns, and with the President's NHTD message.
For National HIV Testing Day (NHTD) on June 27, 2010, AIDS.gov worked with HUD's Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS Program, SAMHSA's Center for Mental Health Services, the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), the CDC, and others to develop the HIV/AIDS Prevention & Service Provider Locator. By entering a location (ZIP code, city and state), an individual can locate nearby prevention, housing, mental health, substance abuse, testing, and treatment services. The locator is a widget that allows organizations and individuals to share the locator on their own blog or website.
- Mike Leavitt, Secretary of Health and Human Services, World AIDS Day 2006 Press Release
- White House World AIDS Day 2006
- Juggle Top Government Blog Award to AIDS.gov
- Department of Health and Human Services "AIDS.gov Goes 2.0" Press Release
- HHS and Kaiser Family Foundation Team Up to Promote Text Messaging in the Fight Against HIV/AIDS
- KNOWIT Campaign
- PRWeek World AIDS Day 2008 Article
- Ogilvy Blog Post: World AIDS Day 2008: AIDS.gov Celebrates Two Years
- AIDS.gov World AIDS Day 2008 Page
- Bloggers Unite
- Second Life World AIDS Day 2008
- Department of Health and Human Services World AIDS Day 2008 Press Release
- Facing AIDS 2009 Flickr Blog Post
- White House National HIV Testing Day 2009 Blog Post
- HHS Secretary Sebelius and DC Mayor Fenty HIV Testing PSA
- AIDS.gov National HIV Testing Day 2009 Page
Federal HIV resources:
- KNOWIT Campaign
- CDC HIV/AIDS Prevention Website
- AIDS.gov Twitter Profile
- AIDS.gov Facebook Page
- AIDS.gov YouTube Channel
Awareness Day resources:
- Department of Health and Human Services HIV/AIDS Awareness Days Website
- National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (2/7)
- National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (3/10)
- National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (3/20)
- HIV Vaccine Awareness Day (5/18)
- National Asian & Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (5/19)
- Caribbean American HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (6/8)
- National HIV Testing Day (6/27)
- National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day (9/18)
- National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (9/27)
- National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (10/15)
- World AIDS Day (12/1)
- HIVtest.org World AIDS Day 2008
- CDC World AIDS Day 2008
- CDC World AIDS Day 2007