A Touch of Class (band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|A Touch of Class|
From left to right: Tracey Elizabeth Packham, Joseph "Joey" Murray, Livio Salvi, and Sarah Egglestone
|Also known as||ATC|
July 5, 1974 (Joseph "Joey" Murray)|
April 4, 1975 (Sarah Egglestone)
January 25, 1977 (Livio Salvi)
July 30, 1977 (Tracey Elizabeth Packham)
|Associated acts||DJ Jurgen, Judith Pronk DJ Bobo|
|Website||www.ATouchofClass.de at the Wayback Machine (archived February 7, 2003)|
|Past members||Joseph "Joey" Murray
Tracey Elizabeth Packham
A Touch of Class (originally known as ATC) was an international pop group based in Germany, although the four members each came from different countries — Joseph "Joey" Murray (born July 5, 1974) from New Zealand, Sarah Egglestone (b. April 4, 1975) from Australia, Livio Salvi (b. January 25, 1977) from Italy, and Tracey Elizabeth Packham (b. July 30, 1977) from the United Kingdom. The pop group was active from 1999 to 2003 and their most successful release was "Around the World (La La La La La)," released in 2000.
The four met together in Hamburg, Germany as cast members of the international Broadway theatre German production of the stage musical "Cats" within October 1997-April 1998. Sarah Egglestone played Bombalurina, Livio Salvi played Mungojerrie, Tracey Packham played Syllabub, and Joey Murray played as Munkustrap/swing dancer. The four quickly became friends and decided to form a dance group. Egglestone noted, "We were there sitting watching television one day, seeing groups and saying 'there's no reason [...] why we can't do this.'" The group first met with producers Alex Christensen and Thomas M. Stein in 1999 and began working on material. The group experimented with merging male and female vocals together. "Producers don't seem to want to mix the voices so often [...] that helps give us that little bit of an edge," Murray remarked.
Their first single, "Around the World (La La La La La)" (which was an English cover of the song "Pesenka" by the Russian group Ruki Vverh!) was first released on May 9, 2000 and went number one in Germany for six weeks in summer 2000. It was later a Top 40 hit in the United Kingdom and United States. The song was in a television commercial for General Electric in the United States in early 2002.
Their debut album Planet Pop, featuring songs from Alex Christensen and Clyde Ward, was released on February 6, 2001 by Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Republic Records, for which they were awarded an ECHO for Best Dance Act. Similar-sounding follow-up singles were successful in parts of Europe, but A Touch of Class were mainly remembered for their first hit.
In 2003, the DJ and producer ATB successfully took the band's record label to court, and the band was forced to change their name from ATC to A Touch of Class. Four singles were released from their second album Touch the Sky in 2003, but they did not match the success of their previous album, and the group members decided to go their separate ways.
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|2000||"Around the World (La La La La La)"||11||1||10||7||12||1||5||1||8||1||15||28||
|"My Heart Beats Like a Drum (Dum Dum Dum)"||76||6||11||12||39||3||37||18||38||21||—||—||
|"Why Oh Why"||—||16||39||—||—||16||—||29||—||64||—||—|
|"Thinking of You"||—||—||—||—||—||46||—||—||—||51||—||—|
|2001||"I'm In Heaven (When You Kiss Me)"||—||27||—||—||—||22||—||—||—||31||—||—||Touch the Sky|
|"Call on Me"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2002||"Set Me Free"||—||—||—||—||—||44||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2003||"New York City"||—||—||—||—||—||81||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes releases that failed to chart or not released in that country.|
- "Livio Salvi - Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "ATC, biography discography, recent releases, news, featurings of europop group - The Eurodance Encyclopædia". EurokDJ.com. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- "Germany performers". LemonDeDeCats.free.fr. Retrieved 2016-09-03.
- "0:26 - ATC A Touch of Class Behind The Scenes 2001 - YouTube". YouTube. 2013-09-15. Retrieved 2016-09-03.
- "ATC - Biografia - Muzyka - WP.PL". Muzyka.wp.pl/. Retrieved 2016-09-03.
- Peak chart positions for singles in Poland:
- "Around The World": "Polish Airplay Chart - Lista krajowa 37-38/2000" (in Polish). PiF PaF Production. Archived from the original on 2001-05-13. Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "My Heart Beats Like A Drum": "Polish Airplay Chart - Lista krajowa 43/2000" (in Polish). PiF PaF Production. Archived from the original on 2001-03-05. Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "Why Oh Why": "Polish Airplay Chart - Lista krajowa 08/2001" (in Polish). PiF PaF Production. Archived from the original on 2001-09-04. Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "ATC - Call On Me - CDsp @ FaN Sklep z Muzyką". Fan.pl. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- "ATC - Set Me Free - CDsp (P)2002 @ FaN Sklep z Muzyką". Fan.pl. Retrieved 2013-02-22.