A Common Man (film)
|A Common Man|
|Directed by||Chandran Rutnam|
|Produced by||Manohan Nanayakkara
|Screenplay by||Chandran Rutnam|
Jerome de Silva
|Music by||Ramesh Vinayakam|
|Edited by||James Rutnam|
Asian Digital Entertainment Ltd.
|Distributed by||Myriad Pictures|
|Country||Sri Lanka / USA|
A Common Man is an award winning movie that won Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor awards at the Madrid International Film Festival and bronze medal in the Feature Films category at the New York Festivals’ International Television and Film Awards, three of the 119 Gold World Medals, 145 Silver, 104 Bronze, and 327 Finalist Certificates awarded that day.
The film starts in a room full of bomb making material and newspaper articles about LTTE bombings in Sri Lanka, the screen then cuts to a typical busy morning in Colombo. "The Man" (Ben Kingsley) plants five bombs around the city; on a public bus, in a shopping mall and the Polgoda police station, on an intercity train, and at the Katukurunda Airfield. The man then establishes his mini control station on top a skyscraper in Dehiwala and calls the police chief Morris Da Silva (Ben Cross) and informs him that if four prisoners are not released, the bombs will be detonated.
- Ben Kingsley as "The Man"
- Ben Cross as Morris Da Silva
- Pattrick Rutnam as IP Mohideen
- Fredrick-James Koch as IP Rangan Jayaweera
The movie received universally negative reviews, the movie has an overall rating of 4.7/10 on IMDb and RottenTomatoes gave it a 13% through audience rating. Some critics panned it the worst movie of all time. The movie won the awards for the best film and the best actor (Ben Kingsley) in the Madrid Film Festival.
- "BEN KINGSLEY- OSCAR WINNER AND HIS VIEWS IN SRI LANKA". Travel Development Lanka (Pvt) LTD. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Asia Capital's AAI exit primary due to new insurance regulations: Chairman". Wijeya Newspapers Ltd.Colombo. Sri Lanka. 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Sri Lanka is extraordinary – Ben Kingsley". The Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd. 2011-08-03. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Ben Kingsley to act in Lankan film". Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Ben Kingsley's wife certainly thinks he's a sexy beast as she cuddles up to actor on lunch date". Associated Newspapers Ltd.(U.K.). 2011-06-10. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- Ben Kingsley Starring Action-Thriller, “A Common Man” Is To Be Released by Myriad Pictures Worldwide
- "Lankans’ film wins three awards". The Island. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- "A Common Man wins bronze at New York Festival". Colombo Gazette. 2013-04-10. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- Ben Kingsley Starring Action-Thriller, "A Common Man" Is To Be Released by Myriad Pictures Worldwide
- "Many firsts for movie ‘A Common Man’". Wijeya Newspapers Ltd. 2013-03-08. Retrieved 2013-03-12.