A Hologram for the King
- For the 2016 film based on the novel, see A Hologram for the King (film)
|Cover artist||Jessica Hische|
|Media type||Print (hardcover & paperback)|
|Pages||312 pp (first edition, hardcover)|
|ISBN||193636574X (first edition, hardcover)|
The novel tells the story of a washed-up, desperate American salesman, Alan Clay, who travels to Saudi Arabia to secure the IT contract from the royal government for a massive new complex being built in the middle of the desert.
Michiko Kakutani describes the novel as having a "Hemingwayesque voice" with some of the main characters' adventures taking on a "Kafkaesque flavor". The novel also makes intentional analogies to "Waiting for Godot."
The New York Times review of the novel by Michiko Kakutani, was generally positive, noting "he has achieved something that is more modest and equally satisfying: the writing of a comic but deeply affecting tale about one man’s travails that also provides a bright, digital snapshot of our times." For Michiko, the novel greatly improved on both of Egger's debut novel, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. San Francisco Chronicle reviewer Carmela Ciuraru described the novel as "an extraordinary work of timely and provocative themes, including the decline of American manufacturing, the sufferings of the middle class and the collapse of the global economy."
A film adaptation by the same name was released in 2016. German filmmaker Tom Tykwer wrote and directed the film, starring Tom Hanks, Tom Skerritt and Sarita Choudhury. Playtone and X-Filme Creative Pool produced it.
Saudi Arabia. Hurghada, Egypt. Ouarzazate, Morocco. Danish Embassy, Berlin, Germany, USA 
- "Jessica Hische - A Hologram for the King". Jessica Hische. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "2012 National Book Awards - National Book Foundation". www.nationalbook.org. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- Kakutani, Michiko (2012-06-13). "Dave Eggers's New Novel, 'A Hologram for the King'". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- Ciuraru, Carmela (August 14, 2012). "'A Hologram for the King,' by Dave Eggers". SFGate. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- "Tom Tykwer's Tom Hanks-Starrer 'A Hologram For The King' Finalizes Cast". deadline.com. 6 March 2014. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
|This article about a 2010s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.