Abdi is a male name. It is a given name with many origins in many countries including Arabic. Among others, one version has Arabic as origin, while another is of Biblical origin.
Arabic origin Abdi
While Arabic speakers commonly use Abdu (عبده / عبدو ʿabdu) rather than Abdi, both are nicknames for Abdul. It originates from the Arabic word عبد ال ʿabd al- / ʿabd el- / ʿabd ul-. The name translates as "servant" or "slave" in reference to religious submission to Allah (God). As such, it is often used by Muslims around the world in conjunction with one of the names of God in Islam, but also sometimes on its own.
Abdi is also the name of three men in the Hebrew Bible
- In 1 Chronicles 6:44 Abdi is a Levite of the family of Merari.
- In 2 Chronicles 29:12 Abdi is a Levite in the time of King Hezekiah of Judah. This may be the same man as in 1 Chronicles 6:44.
- In Ezra 10:26 Abdi is the son of Elam, and one of a long list of men who had married foreign wives, and who then sent them away together with their children.
- Abdi-Ashirta (14th century B.C.), Canaanite ruler of Amurru
- Abdi-Heba (14th century B.C.), Canaanite chieftain of Jerusalem
- Abdi-Milkutti (7th century B.C.), Sidonian king
- Abdi-Riša (14th century B.C.), Phoenician ruler of Enišasi
- Abdi Behravanfar, Iranian singer-songwriter
- Abdi Bile (born 1962), Somali Olympic Gold winner
- Abdi İpekçi (1929–1979), Turkish journalist
- Abdi Kassim, Zanzibari footballer
- Abdi Pasha (disambiguation), various Ottoman people
- Abdi Toptani (1864–1942), Albanian politician
- Mohamed Abdi Mohamed, Somali anthropologist and politician
- Abbas Abdi (born c.1956), Iranian politician
- Abdi Sheik Abdi (born 1942), Somali author
- Abed Abdi, Palestinian artist
- Akbar Abdi (born 1960), Iranian actor and comedian
- Almen Abdi (born 1986), Swiss footballer
- Bahador Abdi (born 1984), Iranian footballer
- Barkhad Abdi (born 1985), Somali American actor and director
- Dekha Ibrahim Abdi, Somali social activist
- Jumadi Abdi, Indonesian footballer
- Kamyar Abdi, Iranian archaeologist
- Mohammad Abdi, Iranian writer
- Youcef Abdi (born 1977), Australian runner
- Yusuf Hassan Abdi, Somali politician, journalist and diplomat
- Abdiwali Omar Mohamed, Somali Youtuber
- Abdu, a nickname for the compound name or a given name. In this case it's not necessarily a name given to a Muslim
- Abdul for further explanation
- Abidi, a surname which refers to the descendants of Zayn al-Abidin
- "Long", Harry Alfred (1883). Personal and family names: a popular monograph on the origin and history of the nomenclature of the present and former times. Hamilton, Adams & co. p. 260.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|