5 August 1960 |
|Other names||Abigail Mead|
Vivian Vanessa Kubrick (born 5 August 1960) is an American-born English filmmaker and composer, known for her work with her father, filmmaker Stanley Kubrick.
Kubrick was born in Los Angeles to Stanley and her mother Christiane Kubrick. She had an older sister, Anya, from whom she was said to be "inseparable" in childhood. She also has an older half-sister, Katharina, from her mother's first marriage.
She played small roles in four of her father's films, firstly as a small child, nicknamed "Squirt", in 2001: A Space Odyssey during a sequence involving a videophone conversation with her on-screen father, Heywood Floyd (William Sylvester).
In her late teens, Kubrick directed a half-hour documentary for the BBC, The Making of "The Shining", which is included on all DVDs and many videotapes of her father's film The Shining. She shot 18 hours of footage for a similar documentary on the making of Full Metal Jacket but it remained unfinished. She did write the score to Full Metal Jacket using the pseudonym Abigail Mead. Director Kubrick had initially envisioned a score that featured Japanese drum compositions, but after hearing an original piece his daughter had recorded, he asked her to score the entire film.
Her father solicited work from her to write music for Eyes Wide Shut, but it was not completed, as Kubrick left for California instead. Although Stanley Kubrick wrote her a 40-page letter in an attempt to persuade her to return to the project she chose not to do so. The film instead used music by Jocelyn Pook.
In October 2008, Kubrick appeared at a 40th anniversary screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey sponsored by the Jules Verne Society, where she appeared onstage with actor Keir Dullea, star of the film, Daniel Richter who played the chief ape in the film, and Malcolm McDowell who starred in her father's subsequent film, A Clockwork Orange (1971). She accepted the Society's Legendaire Award on behalf of her father.
In August 2010, her family announced that since 1999 she had been involved in the Church of Scientology and has been estranged from her family since then. Her family was concerned that she did not attend the funeral of her sister, Anya Kubrick, in 2009, nor meet with her earlier while she was dying of cancer.
In 2014 she posted a series of photographs of herself and her father to Twitter.
Like her father, Kubrick is an animal lover, and has rescued several stray dogs.
- Actress (all uncredited)
- Making "The Shining" (1980)
- Shooting "Full Metal Jacket" (1986)
- LaPorte, Nicole (26 August 2010). "Stanley Kubrick's Scientologist Daughter, Vivian". The Daily Beast.
- Ronson, Jon (18 August 2010). "After Stanley Kubrick". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "Full Metal Jacket Crew Notes". gustavhasford.com. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- BURLINGAME, JON (26 July 1999). "Her Avant-Garde Tunes Are Getting 'Wide' Notice". Los Angeles Times.
- "2001: A Space Odyssey @ The Edison Downtown – Los Angeles News – The Informer". blogs.laweekly.com. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "Stanley Kubrick's Scientologist Daughter, Vivian – The Daily Beast". thedailybeast.com. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "Stanley Kubrick's daughter's photographs of life with her famous father". 11 March 2014.
- "Professional Dog Training in Houston TX". getalonglittledoggie.net. Retrieved 4 January 2011.[dead link]