Ada Zanditon is an award-winning fashion designer born and based in London. She is a graduate of the London College of Fashion. She was featured regularly in the Esthetica showcase of the London Fashion Week from 2009 - 2013. She has also displayed her collections at the Berlin Fashion Week in 2013. She is also an advocate of fair trade practices and environmental awareness.
Zanditon has claimed that she knew that she wanted to be a fashion designer from the age of six. She finished her college studies in London, and went on to do an internship at Alexander McQueen to build her confidence in her choice of career, and also spent some time in Paris gaining experience in the industry.
After graduating from the London College of Fashion in 2007, Zanditon made her debut at the London Fashion Week in 2009 with her collection “The Colony,” which was inspired by the plight of endangered bee species. After winning the Masters of Linen – Creativity award, also in 2009, Zanditon was able to create her first ready-to-wear collection, and was also chosen for the British Fashion Council's eco-fashion mentoring programme, improving her business under the guidance of Bev Malik.
Zanditon’s third appearance at the London Fashion Week was in February 2010, when her bat-inspired collection “Echolocation” was featured. In the fall of that year, her Spring/Summer ‘11 collection “Pyramora” captured significant attention at the first London Fashion Week sustainable fashion catwalk show, organised by Prince Charles and Anna Wintour. She also won the EFF & Fairtrade Foundation’s Innovation Award at the Somerset House that year.
In 2011 she presented her A/W ’11 collection “The Cryoflux,” at London Fashion Week. The collection featured the “Waterfall Dress,” which was worn by Jameela Jamil at the Glamour Awards in June 2011.
In February, she was commissioned by jewellers Ingle and Rhode to design the first ever fairtrade, fairmined gold necklace. Zanditon was also chosen to be one of fifteen high-profile designers to be a part of the Fairtrade Collective that year, for which she designed a scarf made entirely of fairtrade cotton.
Since 2011, most of Zanditon’s collections have been displayed through film as well as the classic catwalk and showcase. This new tradition started with the film for Zandition’s Spring/Summer ‘ 12 collection, “Poseisus,” named for Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea, and his “son” Pegasus, the mythical winged white horse. The inspiration for this collection is mostly inspired by seahorses.
For her S/S 2013 collection, Zanditon continued her effort to use fashion as a campaign to raise awareness about endangered species, this time highlighting the plight of the Asian tiger through her collection “Tigris Reign.” The film associated with the collection follows the story of the Tigress and the Hunter, and the adventure that eventually brought each unable to do the other harm. The Tigress is featured wearing many of the silkier, more flowing pieces of the collection, while the Hunter is featured primarily in the pieces inspired by British Indian Army uniforms.
For her A/W 2013 collection, Zanditon continued her effort to raise awareness about the Asian Tiger, this time with the collection “March of the Tigress.”
After an inspiring trip to Sri Lanka, Zanditon based her S/S 2014 collection, “Aqualibrium,” on the endangered sea turtle, as is evident in the associated video “She Who Changes,” in which all of the collection pieces, which includes several pieces of swimwear, are modelled underwater. Half of the collection is incredibly vibrant and colourful, while the other half is mostly black and monochromatic. The inspiration for the colour pieces is drawn from the patterns on the turtle shells, with the colouring of Sri Lankan street art.
- "Estethica at LFW SS13". London Fashion Week website. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Schlutt, Marcel. Kaltblut Magazine. "The Official Ada Zanditon Berlin Fashion Week Afterparty!" 25 June 2013. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-09-23.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Hakes, Julian. "Ada Zanditon shows her SS'14 Collection to great accalaim at Berlin Fashion Week." Niji Magazine. 10 Jul 2013. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2013-09-23.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Siegel, Lucy. "Ada Zanditon's Innovation: Sustainable Biomimicry Clothes." The Guardian. 9 Jan 2011. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/jan/09/innovator-ada-zanditon-designer-biomimicry/
- Kenney, Elizabeth. "Pioneering Fair Trade Fashion: Designers to Watch." stylefruits UK Special Features. Accessed 27 Aug 2013. http://www.stylefruits.co.uk/specials/pioneering-fair-trade-fashion/
- Doan, Abigail. "London Fashion Week: Esthetica and the Roving Ethical Catwalk." Inhabitat. 03 Jan 2009. http://inhabitat.com/sustainable-style-ldf-estethica-2009/
- Roy, Rebekah. "Ada Zanditon at Esthetica London Fashion Week." Styleist Stuff. 20 Feb 2009. http://www.fashion-stylist.net/blog/2009/02/20/ada-zanditon-at-estethica-london-fashion-week/
- Oppenheim, Leonora. "London Fashion Week: Plight of Bees Inspires Stunning SS10 Collection." Treehugger. 22 Sept 2009. http://www.treehugger.com/style/london-fashion-week-plight-of-bees-inspires-stunning-ss10-collection.html
- "Ada Zanditon: Biography." Accessed 19 Aug 2013. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2013-09-23.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Doan, Abigail. "London Fashion Week: Ada Zanditon Goes From Dusk to Dawn With Bat-Inspired Autumn ’10 Line." Ecouterre. 25 Feb 2010. http://www.ecouterre.com/ada-zanditon-goes-from-dusk-to-dawn-with-bat-inspired-autumn-10-line/
- Oppenheim, Leonora. "London Fashion Week SS11 - Catwalk Like An Egyptian - Ada Zanditon Shows Pyramora Collection at On|Off (Photos)." Treehugger. 21 Sept 2010. http://www.treehugger.com/style/london-fashion-week-ss11-catwalk-like-an-egyptian-ada-zanditon-shows-pyramora-collection-at-onoff-photos.html
- Do's and Don'ts: Jameela Jamil at the GLAMOUR Awards." GLAMOUR Magazine. 07 Jun 2011. http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/fashion/dos-and-donts/glamour-awards/2011/jameela-jamil-at-the-glamour-awards Archived 2013-09-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Crespi, Veronica. "Ada Zanditon’s Poseisus Spring/Summer 2012 Amazing Collection." The Green Stylist. 30 March 2012. http://www.thegreenstylist.com/2012/03/ada-zanditons-poseisus-springsummer-2012-amazing-collection/
- de Leon, Christine. "London Fashion Week: Simia Mineralis: Ada Zanditon Debuts Short Film at Autumn 2012 London Fashion Week." Ecouterre. 21 Feb 2012. http://www.ecouterre.com/simia-mineralis-ada-zanditon-debuts-short-film-at-autumn-2012-london-fashion-week/
- Whelan, Suzanne. "Ada Zanditon S/S 2013 collection: “TIGRESS REIGN”" Daisy Green Magazine. http://www.daisygreenmagazine.co.uk/fashion/features/ada-zanditon-ss-2013-collection/[permanent dead link]