Henson's grandfather Leslie Henson, was a music hall and musical comedy comedian and actor. His farmer father Joe Henson MBE, presented a countryside TV programme with Angela Rippon and Phil Drabble; while his actor uncle Nicky Henson has appeared in films and TV programmes including Fawlty Towers and Inspector Morse. Henson is married to Charlotte "Charlie" Henson and has two children Ella and Alfie.
Born on the farm he now works, Bemborough Farm near Guiting Power, Gloucestershire, Henson did some work at the Chatsworth Estate, and gained an HND in Agriculture at Seale-Hayne Agricultural College in Newton Abbot, Devon, where he met his business partner and friend Duncan Andrews. After graduation, the pair travelled for over a year through Australia working on sheep and arable stations, then a kiwi plantation in New Zealand, before returning to plant tea in the Atherton Tablelands in Queensland. After diving on the Great Barrier Reef, they returned via California and Canada. Henson now runs the Cotswold Farm Park which his father started, which attracts over 70,000 visitors per annum. Adam Henson and Duncan Andrews took on the lease of Bemborough Farm from his father in 1998, and the pair now jointly run the 650 hectare estate, growing wheat, spring barley and oilseed rape, alongside a flock of 350 commercial ewes and numerous rare breeds of farm animals. .
Henson broke into television work in 2001 when he was successful in gaining a presenting position on the BBC's Countryfile programme, after it ran a presenter search. Since this time he has worked on programmes such as Countryfile Summer Diaries and Inside Out. Due to his extensive farming knowledge, he has also worked on BBC Radio 4's On Your Farm and Farming Today, and the joint presenter with Kate Humble of Lambing Live.
Henson has written a few books.
Countryfile: Adam's Farm: My life on the Land (2011) 9781849900706
Like Farmer Like Son (2016) 9781785940712
A Farmer and His Dog (2017) 9781785942471
- "ADAM JOHN LINCOLN HENSON director information.". Company-director-check.co.uk. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- Joe Henson MBE: A year to remember cotswoldlife.co.uk, 17 November 2011.
- "Ben is our inspiration as we prepare for race (From Cotswold Journal)". Cotswoldjournal.co.uk. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Adam Henson". Cotswold Life. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Home of Adam Henson". Cotswoldfarmpark.co.uk. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Adam Henson". Horse and Country. Archived from the original on 18 August 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Adam Henson: Gardener's World Live". Archived from the original on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- Gray, Louise (9 May 2011). "Adam Henson receives death threats over badger cull". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "BBC One - Nigel and Adam's Farm Kitchen". BBC. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2015.