Adel Al Toraifi
|Adel Al Toraifi|
|Minister of Information and Culture|
29 January 2015
|Prime Minister||Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud|
|Born||1979 (age 35–36)|
|Alma mater||University of Kingston
London School of Economics
Adel Al Toraifi (born 1979) is a Saudi journalist and a specialist in Middle Eastern affairs, focusing on Saudi-Iranian relations and foreign policy decision making in the Gulf. He is the minister of culture and information of Saudi Arabia.
Early life and education
Al Toraifi was born in 1979. He received a master’s degree in international conflict in 2008 from the University of Kingston, London. He finished his PhD studies in international relations at the London School of Economics and Political Science in 2012. The title of his thesis is "The Rise and Demise of Saudi-Iranian Rapprochement (1997 – 2009)".
Al Toraifi began his journalism career at the beginning of the 2000s as an opinion writer and commentator for many Arabic and foreign newspapers. He published weekly political opinions in Al Riyadh newspaper. He also wrote for Al Watan in 2003. Then he began to write weekly for the opinion pages of Asharq Al Awsat. In 2010, he became editor-in-chief of The Majalla. In addition to this post, he began to serve as the deputy editor-in-chief for Asharq Al Awsat in July 2012.
Al Toraifi was named as the chief editor of Asharq Al Awsat on 11 December 2012 with effect from 1 January 2013, and he replaced Tariq Alhomayed. He also holds his post as editor-in-chief of The Majalla.
One of his main achievements as the editor-in-chief of The Majalla was the launching of the digital version of the magazine in Arabic, English and Persian. On 1 July 2014 he left the post of editor in chief of Asharq Al Awsat.
Then Al Toraifi joined the Al Arabiya television news channel as deputy general manager. On 22 November 2014, he was appointed as the general manager of Al Arabiya News Channel, replacing Abdulrahman Al Rashed in the post.
- Al Toraifi, Adel (4 October 2012). "Sulzberger’s lessons Reflections on the legacy of a famed newspaperman". Asharq Al Awsat. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Ben Flanagan (30 May 2013). "In conversation with editor-in-chief Adel Al Toraifi". Al Arabiya. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Al Toraifi New Editor-in-chief of Asharq Al Awsat". Asharq Al Awsat. 11 December 2012. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "Adel Al Toraifi". Arabian Business. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Adel Al Toraifi appointed Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Asharq Al Awsat". The Majalla. 4 July 2012. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "Who we are". SRMG. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- "Adel Al Toraifi". Arabian Business. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Dr. Adel Altoraifi appointed new GM at Al Arabiya News Channel". Al Arabiya. 22 November 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Massive Cabinet shake-up". Arab News. 30 January 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Nick Vivarelli (2 February 2015). "New Saudi King Appoints Young Liberal Journo As Culture And Information Minister". Variety. Retrieved 24 April 2015.