Adolf Born (born 12 June 1930) is a Czech painter and illustrator, caricaturist and film-maker. For his lasting contribution as a children's illustrator, Born was a finalist for the biennial, international Hans Christian Andersen Award in 2008.
Born in the town of České Velenice on the Bohemian side of the southern border with Austria, Adolf Born got his Visual Arts Education from 1949 to 1955 in Prague, where he still lives and works. Since the 1960s his works have been exhibited all over the world. In 1974, Born was declared cartoonist of the year in Montreal; he has won the Palma d'Oro in Bordighera, Italy.
One of the forms he has specialised in is the bookplate (the "ex libris"), usually using colour lithography. He has held over 100 exhibitions; he has illustrated hundreds of books and has designed theatre sets and costumes.
He is married and has one daughter.
The asteroid 17806 Adolfborn is named for him.
- Mach a Šebestová - a cartoon series
- "2008". Hans Christian Andersen Awards. International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY). With contemporary material including the 31 March 2008 press release. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Adolf Born - Maler, Grafiker, Illustrator: Biographie". Galerie Krause. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Adolf Born". Fineart.cz. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Born at Galerie Krause (German)
- Born at ArtForum
- 2008 Exhibition in Greece (Czech)[dead link]
- Adolf Born at the Internet Movie Database
- Recently illustrated world classics (Czech)
- Review by Czech Business Weekly (Czech)
- Adolf Born at Library of Congress Authorities, with 28 catalog records