June 12, 1930|
České Velenice, Czechoslovakia
|Died||May 22, 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
|Occupation||Painter, illustrator, caricaturist, filmmaker|
Medal of Merit (Czech Republic)
Adolf Born (12 June 1930 – 22 May 2016) was a Czech painter, illustrator, caricaturist, and filmmaker. For his lasting contribution as a children's illustrator, Born was a finalist for the biennial, international Hans Christian Andersen Award in 2008. His various international rewards and honors also include the Grand Prix at the International Salon of Cartoons in Montreal and the Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters in France.
Born was born in the town of České Velenice on the Bohemian side of the southern border with Austria, moving to Prague with his family in 1935. He received his visual arts education between 1949 and 1955 at the School of Applied Arts in Prague, in the Department of Caricature and Newspaper Drawing. Since the 1960s his works have been exhibited throughout the world. In 1966, in collaboration with Gene Deitch, Born animated the first ever screen adaptation of a work by J. R. R. Tolkien, The Hobbit!  Initially better known to the public as a cartoonist published in magazines, censorship prompted him, from 1973 onwards, to focus more on animation and book illustrations. In 1974 Born was declared cartoonist of the year in Montreal, and he won the Palma d'Oro at the International Festival of the Humor of Bordighera, Italy.
One of the forms he specialised in was the bookplate (the "ex libris"), usually using colour lithography. He held over 100 exhibitions, illustrated hundreds of books, and designed many theatre sets and costumes.
He was married and had one daughter.
Born died on May 22, 2016, at the age of 85.
- Mach a Šebestová, a cartoon series
- "2008". Hans Christian Andersen Awards. International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY). With contemporary material including the Mar 31, 2008 press release Retrieved Mar 23, 2014.
- Anon., "Czech painter, illustrator, cartoonist Adolf Born dies at 85", The Washington Post, May 22, 2016.
- "Adolf Born - Painter, Graphic Artist, Illustrator: Biography". Galerie Krause. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- Deitch, G., & Born, A., The Hobbit, Dailymotion, 1966.
- "Adolf Born". Fineart.cz. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- Schmadel, L. D., Dictionary of Minor Planet Names, Sixth Revised and Enlarged Edition, Vol. 2 (Berlin / Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 2012), p. 926.
- Jůn, D., "Popular Czech children’s author Adolf Born dies aged 85", Radio Prague, May 23, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adolf Born.|