This article needs to be updated.(July 2017)
The project was first considered in 1995 when initial exploratory work was undertaken. A feasibility study was completed by 2008 and the location permit was issued in 2010 after environmental impact assessment was carried out.
The terminal will provide additional source of natural gas for the Croatian market, which relies on natural gas for 48% of its energy needs. The terminal will also be a distribution point for natural gas to the surrounding market including Italy, Austria, Hungary, Romania and Slovenia, as Croatia's demand only stands at 3.2 billion cubic metres (110 billion cubic feet) per year which is significantly below the expected capacity of the terminal. For this purpose, a new natural gas pipeline between Croatia and Hungary was built.
The terminal will have an initial capacity of 10 billion cubic metres (350 billion cubic feet) per year, which could be increased to 15 billion cubic metres (530 billion cubic feet) per year. The investment is estimated at €800 million.
The final investment decision is to be taken in 2013 and construction to start not before 2014. The terminal would be operational not before 2017.
The project is developed by Adria LNG. The shareholders of the company are:
The consortium has slated a 25% stake for Croatian partners, expected to include oil company INA (14%), power company HEP and gas pipeline operator Plinacro (together 11%). The Managing Director of Adria LNG company is Evelina Kukova.
- Ilic, Igor (2009-03-03). "Adria LNG terminal consortium gets new structure". Reuters. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- Hromadko, Jan (2009-10-20). "RWE Exits Adria LNG Consortium On Review Of LNG Operations". Capital.gr. Dow Jones Newswires. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Ilic, Igor (2009-12-10). "Croatia, investors see no delay for LNG terminal". Reuters. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Ilic, Igor (2009-01-20). "Russian gas cut may spur Croatia LNG project". Reuters. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- "Adria LNG slips to 2017 on European "gas surplus"". ICIS Heren. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2012-01-16.