Advance Township, Pembina County, North Dakota
|• Total||35.9 sq mi (92.9 km2)|
|• Land||35.8 sq mi (92.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||945 ft (288 m)|
|• Density||4.0/sq mi (1.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1036731|
Advance Township (formerly Avon Township) is a township in Pembina County, North Dakota, United States. At the time of the 2000 Census, its population was 143, with an estimated 122 people as of 2009.
Advance Township was organized in 1888 from the northern part of Akra Township. Akra Township was a "double township" at the time, covering two full survey townships. It was originally named Avon Township, but renamed Advance in 1905.
Backoo, a town of approximately 50 people northwest of Cavalier, was the most prominent population center in the township. It was established in 1887 as a townsite on the Great Northern Railroad. The post office here was in continuous operation from 1887 to 1988.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Census Bureau (2010). "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: North Dakota". 2009 Population Estimates. Archived from the original (CSV) on 2010-06-27. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- Johnson, Sveinbjorn (1906). Libby, Orin Grant, ed. The Icelandic Settlement of Pembina County. Collections of the State Historical Society of North Dakota. 1. Bismarck, ND: Tribune, State Printers and Binders. p. 109. OCLC 01773487.
- U.S. Census Bureau (1913). "Number of Inhabitants, North Dakota" (PDF). Thirteenth Census of the United States: 1910. Government Printing Office. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- Steinolfson, Arlan: The Dakota Icelanders Project (2009). "Icelandic Settlers of Advance (Avon) Township". Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- U.S. Census Bureau (1901). "Population of North Dakota" (PDF). Twelfth Census of the United States: 1900. Government Printing Office. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- Wick, Douglas A. (1988). North Dakota Place Names. Bismarck, North Dakota: Hedemarken Collectibles. p. 10. ISBN 0-9620968-0-6. OCLC 191277027.
- Patera, Alan H.; John S. Gallagher (1982). North Dakota Post Offices, 1850-1982. Burtonsville, Maryland: The Depot. pp. 106–108. OCLC 09763647.
- "Postmaster Finder". U.S. Postal Service. Archived from the original on 23 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-02.