|Genres||Technical death metal|
|Labels||Metal Blade, Unique Leader, Necropolis|
|Associated acts||Defaced Creation, Diabolicum, Sanctification, Souldrainer|
|Past members||Johan Hjelm
Aeon is a death metal band that formed in Östersund, Sweden in 1999. The band comprises vocalist Tommy Dahlström, guitarists Sebastian Nilsson and Ronnie Björnström, bassist Tony Östman and drummer Emil Wiksten. The band released its debut album, Bleeding the False, in 2005; and the second album Rise to Dominate in 2007, after signing a record deal with Metal Blade Records. The band's third album, Path of Fire, was released in 2010 and Aeons Black in 2012.
Formation and Bleeding the False (1999–2005)
Aeon was formed in the Swedish town of Östersund in 1999 by vocalist Tommy Dahlström, guitarists Sebastian Nilsson and Morgan Nordbakk, bassist Johan Hjelm and drummer Arttu Malkki of the newly broken up band Defaced Creation, in order to proceed with more modern style of death metal. A demo was recorded that year including the songs "Return of Apolluon", "Eternal Hate", "With Blood they Pay", "The Awakening", "Bloodlust" and "Hell Unleashed".
In 2001, Aeon released Dark Order EP, with the same tracklist as the demo, via Necropolis Records. That year, Nordbakk was replaced by Daniel Dlimi, who subsequently started to contribute also as a songwriter. In 2002, after Malkki left the band, Aeon was joined by Nils Fjellström and started to work on a studio album, which was recorded from October 2003 to February 2004 and released in September 2005 under the title Bleeding the False through Unique Leader record label.
Rise to Dominate and Path of Fire (2006–2011)
In April 2006, the band toured with Cannibal Corpse in Europe and signed a record deal with Metal Blade Records in July. Hjelm departed from Aeon in mid-2006, but Max Carlberg filled his position in September. The second full length album, Rise to Dominate, was recorded in April 2007 at Empire Studio, mixed and mastered by Dan Swanö at Unisound Studios and released in September 2007. Fjellström joined Dark Funeral on a tour in October 2007, but rejoined Aeon in February 2008.
During 2008, Aeon started to work on the next studio album. In January 2009, the band toured in Europe with Hate Eternal, Misery Index and See You Next Tuesday. In September, Carlberg departed and was replaced by Victor Brandt of Satyricon. The members commented Carlberg's departure: "Being on tour in a not-so-known death metal band like Aeon often means really tough conditions and bad economy. We totally understand that not everyone can put up with this way of life." The band subsequently recorded its third studio album, Path of Fire, at Empire Studio in Östersund, Sweden. Nilsson and Dlimi recorded also the bass, because Brandt did not have enough time to learn the songs. The album was mixed the following month at Mana Recording Studios in St, Petersburg, Florida by Erik Rutan. In January 2010, Brandt departed and was replaced by Marcus Edvardsson of Souldrainer and Sanctification.
Path of Fire was released on May 21/24 2010 in Europe and on May 25 in the U.S. via Metal Blade Records. In June, Aeon released a music video for "Forgiveness Denied" and Dlimi commented on the theme of the song and video: "There have been a lot of scandals revealed lately, regarding priests (especially catholic ones) who have been abusing children sexually. In my world, there is nothing more innocent than a child, and the ones who abuse a child sexually will never be forgiven. In my opinion, they deserve to die a horrible, painful death. We want to dedicate this song/video to them, the filthy fucking priests who have laid a hand on a child sexually; we hate you, and want you dead."
Aeons Black (2012–present)
The band released Aeons Black in late 2012. In 2013, it was announced that drummer Malkki was expecting twins, and thus he decided to take a break from Aeon. His spot was temporarily filled by Emil Wiksten. However, as of January 28th, 2013, Wiksten has replaced Malkki permanently. Later in 2013, it was announced that bassist Marcus Edvardsson had stepped down in order to focus more on his other band Souldrainer. His replacement is Tony Östman. In October 2013, Daniel Dlimi left the band. He was replaced by Ronnie Björnström, who had produced Aeons Black, in January 2014. Björnström, in turn, departed from Aeon in March 2015, for health reasons.
Musical style and reception
Aeon's music is composed by Nilsson and Dlimi; the lyrics are written by Dahlström. According to Allmusic, Aeon plays "uncommonly intense, technically proficient, high-velocity brand of death metal". Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse stated: "Aeon's musicianship is among the best in death metal, but their songwriting is what truly sets them apart. It's rare to find a death metal band that is simultaneously crushingly brutal and infectiously catchy." Nilsson stated: "Tom [Dahlström] has had his problems with Jehovah's Witnesses who live[d] by him when he was a little younger. They actually were visiting him a lot, trying to convert him to Christian", which resulted in Aeon's anti-Christian lyrics.
- Dark Order (EP, 2001)
- Bleeding the False (2005)
- Rise to Dominate (2007)
- Path of Fire (2010)
- Aeons Black (2012)
- Eduardo Rivadavia, Aeon Biography, Allmusic
- Aeon Biography, aeon666.com
- Bleeding the False, Allmusic
- Aeon Signs With Metal Blade Records - Sep. 7, 2006, Blabbermouth.net
- Greg Prato, Rise to Dominate, Allmusic
- Scott Alisoglu, Rise to Dominate, Blabbermouth.net
- Aeon Parts Ways With Drummer, Seeks Replacement - Oct. 10, 2007, Blabbermouth
- Blabbermouth (29 February 2008). "AEON Officially Welcomes Back Drummer NILS FJELLSTRÖM".
- Aeon Joined By Former Satyricon Bassist - Sep. 9, 2009, Blabbermout.net
- Blabbermouth (17 February 2010). "AEON: New Album Title Announced".
- Path Of Fire - Teaser available Now, Aeon at Myspace, April 08, 2010
- Aeon: New Album Artwork, Track Listing, Release Date Revealed - Apr. 12, 2010, Blabbermouth.net
- Aeon: 'Forgiveness Denied' Video Released - June 21, 2010, blabbermouth.net
- Aeon Parts Ways With Drummer, Seeks Replacement - Sep. 5, 2010, blabbermouth.net
Dark Funeral Parts Ways With Drummer - Sep. 8, 2010, blabbermouth.net
- Aeon Rejoined By Original Drummer - Nov. 5, 2010, Blabbermouth.net
- "Aeon666.com » Blog Archive » Emil Wiksten is from now on the permanent drummer of Aeon".
- Aeon Guitarist Quits, Says He 'Can't Afford' To Stay In The Band. Blabbermouth.net. Published on October 10, 2013.
- Aeon To Carry On Following Guitarist's Departure. Blabbermouth.net. Published on October 12, 2013.
- Aeon Announces New Guitarist. Blabbermouth.net. Published on January 9, 2014.
- Grow, Kory (December 2007). "Touched by an Angel". Decibel Magazine (#038).