Air Staff (United Kingdom)
Air Staff is the body of Royal Air Force officers responsible for the running of the RAF.
The Air Staff issued "Targets" (AST) which were a stated requirement for an aircraft to fulfil a role within the RAF. E.g Air Staff Target 362 was for a trainer aircraft to replace the Folland Gnat, the resulting aircraft was the SEPECAT Jaguar.
The Air Staff was composed of several posts.
- Chief of the Air Staff
- Deputy Chief of the Air Staff (1918-1968/9)
- Assistant Chief of the Air Staff - replaced Vice Chief and two Assistant Chief posts
- Vice Chief of the Air Staff (1940-1985)
- Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Policy) (? -1985)
- Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Operations) -(? -1985)
- Air Member for Development and Production (Air Council title)
- Air Member for Training (Air Council title)
- Air Member for Technical Services (Air Council title)
- Air Member for Supply and Organisation (Air Council title, 1923-present)