Hicks with the New Orleans Saints in 2012
|No. 96 Chicago Bears|
|Date of birth:||November 16, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Elk Grove, California|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||336 lb (152 kg)|
|High school:||Fair Oaks (CA) Del Campo|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 3 / Pick: 89|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Akiem Jamar Hicks (born November 16, 1989) is an American football defensive end for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft and has also played for the New England Patriots. He played college football at Sacramento City College and at the University of Regina.
A native of Sacramento, California, Hicks was born in Elk Grove, attended Del Campo High School in Fair Oaks, and began his college career at Sacramento City College. After the 2008 season, he was rated as a top junior college player and signed to play at LSU. However, recruiting violations by LSU made him ineligible for the 2009 season; unable to transfer to another American football program, he went to work at a DirecTV call center in Colorado Springs, Colorado while he considered his next move. Hicks had an offer to play for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, but decided instead to continue his education and college football career with the Regina Rams of the Canada West Universities Athletic Association. After his first season at Regina, he was drafted by the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League, but again decided to stay in college. In his second year at Regina, he made 42 tackles and 6 1/2 sacks and was named the CWUAA's top lineman. A strong performance in the East-West Shrine Game increased his profile with NFL scouts.
New Orleans Saints
The Saints drafted Hicks in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft; it was the Saints' first pick of the draft. He became the ninth Canadian Interuniversity Sport player to be selected in the NFL draft, and the second-highest NFL draft pick in CIS history (behind only Mike Schad, a first round pick in 1986). As a rookie in 2012, Hicks played 14 games making 20 tackles, a pass defended, and a forced fumble. In 2013, Hicks started all 16 games making 43 tackles and 4.5 sacks. In 2014, he played 15 games with 42 tackles, two sacks, and two passes defended. To begin 2015 with the Saints, Hicks played three games with three tackles.
New England Patriots
On December 20, 2015, Hicks scored a touchdown in the Patriots' 33–16 win against the Tennessee Titans, recovering the ball for a touchdown after a Chandler Jones strip sack. For the remainder of the 2015 season with the Patriots, Hicks played 13 games with 21 tackles, three sacks, and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Overall in 2015, combined with both teams, Hicks played 16 games with 24 tackles. The Patriots finished the season with a 12-4 record to clinch an AFC East pennant until losing to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship game.
On March 13, 2016, Hicks signed a two-year contract with the Chicago Bears. On September 11, 2016, Hicks made his NFL debut as a Chicago Bear against the Houston Texans, recording 3 tackles and a forced fumble. On September 23, 2016, Hicks was fined $18,231 for roughing the passer, regarding a helmet-to-helmet hit on Carson Wentz in Week 2 against the Eagles. On October 2, 2016, Hicks recorded his first sack of the season on Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions. On October 31, 2016, Hicks recorded two sacks against the Minnesota Vikings. On December 4, 2016, Hicks recorded 10 tackles plus two sacks and a forced fumble in a 26-6 win over the San Francisco 49ers, earning him NFC Defensive Player of the Week. On December 11, 2016, Hicks recorded a sack against the Detroit Lions. Hicks' 7th sack of the season sets a personal best.
- Dan Ralph, "Akiem Hicks's path to the 2012 NFL draft has been a long, sometimes bizarre one", The Canadian Press at 660news.com, April 25, 2012.
- Joe Davidson, "Akiem Hicks of Del Campo, Sacramento City goes in 3rd round of NFL Draft to Saints", The Sacramento Bee, April 27, 2012.
- "Regina Rams star drafted into the NFL: Canada West’s top lineman Hicks picked 89th overall by New Orleans", Calgary Herald, April 28, 2012.
- "Patriots acquire Hicks from Saints" NESN, September 30, 2015.
- Patra, Kevin (March 14, 2016). "Bears add DE Akiem Hicks on a 2-year contract". NFL. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- Schwarz, Jr., Rob (2016-09-12). "Akiem Hicks records three tackles and a forced fumble". www.fantasypros.com. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- Eurich, Matt. "Akiem Hicks fined for hit on Carson Wentz". 247 Sports. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry (2016-10-02). "Bears defense plays 'lights out' in win". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- "Hicks sacks Stafford for 7-yard loss". Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- Finley, Patrick (2016-10-31). "Monster mash: Stout Bears defense keys 20-10 upset of Vikings". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- Lewis, Edward (December 7, 2016). "Andrew Luck headlines NFL Players of the Week". NFL.com.
- "Bears' Akiem Hicks: Picks up another sack in Sunday loss". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- LeGere, Bob (2016-12-11). "Barkley 'continues to be a bright spot' for Chicago Bears". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2016-12-12.