Alabama gubernatorial election, 1994
|Elections in Alabama|
The 1994 Alabama gubernatorial election was held on 8 November 1994 to select the governor of the state of Alabama. The election saw Republican Fob James defeat Democratic incumbent Governor Jim Folsom, Jr. in an upset.
The Democratic primary saw Jim Folsom defeat Paul Hubbert for the Democratic nomination. Lieutenant Governor Folsom became Governor on April 22, 1993 after Republican Governor H. Guy Hunt was removed from office.
- Tom Hayden
- Paul Hubbert, Executive Secretary of the Alabama Education Association and nominee for Governor in 1990
- Jim Folsom, Jr., incumbent Governor
- F. Ross Stewart
|Democratic||Jim Folsom, Jr.||380,227||54.04|
|Democratic||F. Ross Stewart||24,354||3.46|
Fob James defeated five other candidates for the Republican nomination.
- Ann Bedsole, State Senator
- Winton Blount III, businessman and son of former Postmaster General Winton Blount
- Fob James, former Democratic Governor
- Mickey Kirkland, pastor
- Jack Pollard, candidate for Governor in 1990
- Robin Swift, businessman
|Republican||Winton Blount III||51,795||24.38|
General election results
|Source||Date||James (R)||Folsom (D)|
|WSFA-TV||Nov. 6, 1994||40%||47%|
|WALA-TV||Oct. 23, 1994||38%||49%|
Folsom led in the polls during the campaign which showed him 10 to 12 percent ahead of James on the last weekend before the election. However James pulled off a narrow upset victory in the election.
|Democratic||Jim Folsom, Jr.||594,169||49.4|
- "James Elisha Folsom, Jr.". Alabama Department of Archives & History. Retrieved 2008-07-06.
- http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=1&year=1994&f=0&off=5&elect=1 1994 Gubernatorial Democratic Primary Election Results - Alabama
- http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=1&year=1994&f=0&off=5&elect=2 1994 Gubernatorial Republican Primary Election Results – Alabama
- "Jim Folsom learned his lesson". The Tuscaloosa News. 2006-11-12. Retrieved 2008-07-06.[permanent dead link]
|Gubernatorial election in Alabama