||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
15 June 1956 |
|Institutions||Penn State University|
|Alma mater||University of Padova
University of Colorado
|Doctoral advisor||Jerrold Bebernes|
|Doctoral students||Stefano Bianchini
|Notable awards||Feltrinelli Prize (2006), Bôcher Memorial Prize (2008), Amerio Prize (2009)|
Alberto Bressan (born 15 June 1956) is an Italian mathematician at Penn State University. His primary field of research is mathematical analysis including hyperbolic systems of conservation laws, impulsive control of Lagrangian systems, and non-cooperative differential games. He obtained his PhD in mathematics from University of Colorado under Jerrold Bebernes in 1982. Bressan received a full professorship at the SISSA in Trieste, Italy in 1991. In 2003, he moved to Penn State University to assume a full professorship there — a position he still holds. He won the Bôcher Memorial Prize in 2008 and the Analysis of Partial Differential Equations Prize of the SIAM in 2007 for his work in PDEs. He was appointed to the Eberly Family Chair in Mathematics at Penn State in August 2008.
In addition to the above, his honors include the A. Feltrinelli prize for Mathematics, Mechanics and Applications of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei in Rome, and the 2009 edition of the Amerio Prize. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
Bressan has contributed several important results in the theory of hyperbolic conservation laws and was invited to give a plenary talk at the International Congress of Mathematicians at Beijing in August 2002.
His early work was on certain mathematical problems from the theory of combustion. His research to date includes a number of key results in such diverse areas as: hyperbolic systems of conservation laws and nonlinear wave equations, impulsive control of Lagrangian system, systems of Hamilton–Jacobi equations (related to non-cooperative differential games), Nash equilibrium solutions in feedback form for infinite-horizon, discounted differential games, dynamic blocking problems (mathematical models of wild fire confinement), and optimization problems for elliptic equations.
- "Bocher Memorial Prize". American Mathematical Society. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "SIAM: SIAG/Analysis of Partial Differential Equations Prize". www.siam.org. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Alberto Bressan is Named Holder of the Eberly Family Chair in Mathematics". Pennsylvania State University. August 2008. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Bressan Awarded Antonio Feltrinelli Prize". Pennsylvania State University. 2006-09-26. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-10.
- "ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1950". International Mathematical Union. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Bressan, Alberto (2002-08-26). "Hyperbolic Systems of Conservation Laws in One Space Dimension". Video. International Mathematical Union. Retrieved 23 January 2010.