Alecos Papadatos (Alexandros Papadatos, Alekos Papadatos; Greek: Αλέκος Παπαδάτος; born 1959) is a Greek comic book writer and illustrator, best known as the artist of Logicomix, a graphic novel written by Apostolos Doxiadis and Christos Papadimitriou. Logicomix was the No. 1 New York Times Best Seller Paperback Graphic Book of October 18, 2009.
Early life and education
Papadatos was born in Thessaloniki, Greece. He started drawing cartoons since very young and all through his years of high school at Anatolia College. After graduating from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki with a degree in Economics, Papadatos went on to receive an M.A. in Aesthetics from the University of Sorbonne I, in Paris. Simultaneously, he began to study animation and cartoon design which led to work as animator for French TV.
In 1988, Papadatos won First Prize in the Special Technique (Animated Cartoons) category at the short-length Film Festival of Drama, Greece, for his animated film, Τzitziki and Myrmigi (Greek: Τζιτζίκι και Μυρμήγκι; German: Die Grille und die Ameise), based on one of Aesop's Fables, The Ant and the Grasshopper. In 1989, he won an official Greek participation at the Berlin International Film Festival. The same year, he worked as animator of the cartoon Babar, co-produced by Canal+, Paris and Nelvana, Toronto.
In 1991, Papadatos moved to Athens, Greece. There, in collaboration with animator Annie Di Donna, he taught animation and film production. His studio, Spicy Toons, produced TV cartoon commercials in 2D/3D for the Greek and European market as well as animation for educational documentaries. Papadatos worked as a cartoonist for the major Athens daily To Vima. He also illustrated the covers of Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture; Gutter (Γκάτερ); and, Εγώ ο Ζάχος Ζάχαρης.
Papadatos began illustrating Logicomix in 2003, on a full-time basis, until its completion in 2008. A film shot during the writing and production of the novel, Making of Logicomix, depicted the creative process from outline, to story writing, to illustrating and coloring, to final product. Logicomix received numerous awards and favorable reviews where Papadatos’ art was described as “crisp and simple in the clear-line manner of Hergé," as possessing “real graphic verve. (Even though I’m a text guy, I couldn’t keep my eyes off the witty drawings),” “ingeniously charming,” and “compelling.”
Papadatos’ illustrations are found in different Greek and foreign magazines, among them, Athens Voice, The Financial Times and Publishers Weekly. Papadatos is one of the artists in a comics anthology inspired by Heavy Liquid, the LP of the Greek rock band, The Last Drive, which won the prize for Best Comics Anthology at the 2011 Athens Comicdom Awards.
Papadatos is the sole cover illustrator for The Books' Journal, a Greek paper publication exploring the world of books, politics, ideas, literature and the arts.
His latest project released in 2015, Democracy, is a graphic novel he co-wrote with Abraham Kawa and co-illustrated with Annie Di Donna. It is a fictional account recalling the birth of a new political system in ancient Greece.
- "Best Sellers". The New York Times. New York: The New York Times Company. 2013-10-25. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Βραβευμένες Ταινίες Φεστιβάλ Ελληνικών Ταινιών Μικρού Μήκους". Archived from the original on 9 December 2002. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Tzitziki kai myrmigi (1988)". 1998. Archived from the original on 25 October 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "| Berlinale | Archive | Annual Archives | 1989 | Programme - To tzitziki ke to mirmingi | The Grasshopper And The Ant | Die Grille und die Ameise". Berlinale.de. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "Babar". 1989–2002. Archived from the original on 16 March 2004. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "The Olympic Games in Antiquity". 2002. Archived from the original on 25 October 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- Doxiadis, Apostolos (2001). Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture: A Novel of Mathematical Obsession. Bloomsbury USA. ISBN 978-1582341286.
- Papaliou, Dorina (2007). Gutter. Athens: Kedros. ISBN 978-960-04-3650-1.
- Διβανη, Λενα (2012). Εγω ο Ζαχος Ζαχαρης (in Greek). Εκδοσεις Καστανιωτη. ISBN 978-960-03-5439-3. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- R.C. Harvey, "Logicomix, A Tour de Force", The Comics Journal, 21 January 2010
- Jim Holt, "Algorithm and Blues", The New York Times, 25 September 2009
- Mike Lee, "Logicomix Review", "Geekweek.com", 18 February 2010
- Douglas Bell, "Brawny brains", "The Globe and Mail", 23 October 2009
- "Αλεκος Παπαδατος". Athens Voice. Athens. 16 October 2008. Archived from the original on 1 November 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Αλεκος Παπαδατος". Athens Voice. Athens. 12 July 2012. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Exclusive Claude Lévi-Strauss cartoon". The Financial Times. 27 February 2010. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Comicdom Awards 2011". Archived from the original on 5 May 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "The Books' Journal". Athens: Ηλίας Κανέλλης & ΣΙΑ ΕΕ. Retrieved 12 March 2014.