Toronto Blue Jays
April 1, 1988 |
|June 1, 2014 for the Boston Red Sox|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||0|
Alexander Edward Hassan (born April 1, 1988) is an American professional baseball outfielder in the Toronto Blue Jays organization. Listed at 6' 3", 195 lb., he bats and throws right handed. He previously played with the Boston Red Sox.
Boston Red Sox
Hassan was selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 20th round of the 2009 draft out of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. He went to Duke University after graduating from Boston College High School. A two-way player in college, he posted a .342 average with three home runs and 39 runs batted in as a junior at Duke in 2009. He also led the team with 56 runs scored, while going 2-2 with a 4.10 earned run average and a team-leading eight saves in 16 games pitched.
He was originally drafted as a pitcher, but impressed enough in the Cape Cod League in 2009 that the Boston organization decided to switch him to outfield. Being able to play in all three outfield positions, he is best suited at left field.
He opened 2011 with Double A Portland, and batted .291 with 13 home runs and 64 RBI in 126 games. He finished 3rd in the Eastern League in on-base percentage (.406), 4th in walks (76), 8th in On-base plus slugging (.902) and 12th in batting, while earning an EL All-Star berth during the midseason. In addition, he led all outfielders with a .995 fielding percentage, after committing only one error in 210 total chances, while his on-base percentage also was the best in the Red Sox minor league system.
Hassan was rated by Baseball America as having the best strike zone judgment in the Red Sox organization entering the 2012 season. He returned to Pawtucket in 2012. Even though he played only 94 games because of assorted injuries, he hit a career-low .256 average, but ranked 2nd in the team in OBP (.377), 3rd in RBI (46), and 8th in runs (39), hits (80) and doubles (12).
Hassan got a late start to the 2013 season with Pawtucket after recovering from injuries, being limited to 63 games, but grabbed a firm hold of his spot on the 40-man roster. He finished with a .338 average, which was the best in the organization, driving in 35 runs and scoring 30 times, while collecting a .457 OBP (also a best) and a .471 of slugging.
Hassan was called up to Boston from Pawtucket on May 30, 2014, and made his MLB debut on June 1. In his major league debut, he went one hit in three at-bats with a run scored. He was optioned back to Pawtucket on June 8.
On November 17, 2014, Hassan was claimed off waivers by the Oakland Athletics. He was designated for assignment by Oakland, and on November 20, 2014, he was claimed by the Baltimore Orioles. The Orioles designated him for assignment on February 25, 2015, and he was reclaimed by Oakland on February 27. He was designated for assignment by the Athletics on April 8. He was claimed by the Texas Rangers the next day.
After being placed on waivers by the Rangers, Hassan was claimed by the Oakland Athletics and optioned to the Triple-A Nashville Sounds on May 2, 2015. He was designated for assignment on May 8 and released four days later.
Toronto Blue Jays
- "MiLB.com – Alex Hassan profile".
- "Boston Red Sox prospects – Alex Hassan profile". Soxprospects.com. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "2012 Pawtucket Red Sox batting statistics". Baseball-reference.com. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- BC High Grad Alex Hassan Gets First Big League Call-up As Ryan Lavarnway Heads to DL
- Milton Native Alex Hassan to Make Major League Debut Today
- Galanis, Sam (November 17, 2014). "Athletics Claim Outfielder Alex Hassan Off Waivers From Red Sox". New England Sports Network. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Encina, Eduardo A. (November 20, 2014). "Orioles claim outfielder Alex Hassan off waivers from Oakland Athletics". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "Everth Cabrera, Orioles finalize $2.4M, 1-year contract". ESPN.com. Associated Press. February 25, 2015. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Baer, Bill (February 27, 2015). "Athletics claim Alex Hassan off waivers from the Orioles". NBC Sports. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Espinoza, Alex (April 9, 2015). "Rangers claim outfielder Hassan off waivers". MLB.com. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Short, D.J. (May 2, 2015). "Athletics Designate Cody Ross for Assignment". NBCSports.com. Retrieved May 2, 2015.
- "Athletics release OF Alex Hassan". ESPN.com. Associated Press. May 12, 2015. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- d'Oliveira, Sean (May 20, 2015). "Blue Jays sign Alex Hassan to minor-league deal". fantasynews.cbssports.com. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Ley, Tom (November 18, 2014). "The A's Just Claimed Subject 6 From The Duke Fuck List". Deadspin.com. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)