Alfred E. Allen
Alfred E. Allen
|17th Speaker of the House of Representatives|
7 June 1972 – 26 October 1972
|Prime Minister||Jack Marshall|
|Preceded by||Roy Jack|
|Succeeded by||Stanley Whitehead|
|27th Chairman of Committees|
13 March 1970 – 7 June 1972
|Preceded by||John Hannibal George|
|Succeeded by||Richard Harrison|
|Member of the New Zealand Parliament
30 November 1957 – 26 October 1972
|Preceded by||Jack Massey|
|Succeeded by||Bill Birch|
20 May 1912|
Onehunga, Auckland, New Zealand
|Died||20 May 1987
|Parliament of New Zealand|
Allen was born in Onehunga, Auckland, in 1912, and baptised in the Onehunga Presbyterian parish on 28 July of that year. He attended a variety of primary schools in the Bay of Plenty, Franklin and Auckland. After attending Auckland Grammar School, he became a farmer; he would own farms in Port Albert on the Kaipara Harbour, Maramarua in the Waikato, and Clevedon in the Franklin District. He married Nancy Cutford in 1935. They had one son and three daughters. In World War II he served in the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force from 1940 to 1943; he was a sergeant major.
He unsuccessfully stood as the Hamilton candidate for breakaway Labour MP John A. Lee and his Democratic Labour Party in the 1943 general election. Of four candidates, he came a distant third with less than 6% of the votes.
He was the National Member of Parliament for Franklin from 1957 (when the veteran sitting MP Jack Massey was deselected by the National Party in favour of Allen) to 1972, when he retired. He was Chairman of Committees from 13 March 1970 until 7 June 1972, the first day of the third session of the 36th Parliament, when he was elected Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- Gustafson 1986, pp. 296–297.
- "Onehunga Parish Baptisms 1881 to 1930". Presbyterian Research Centre New Zealand. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "Biographies of Former and Current Speakers of the New Zealand House of Representatives". New Zealand Parliamentary Library. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- The General Election, 1943. National Library. 1944. p. 4. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- Wilson 1985, p. 179.
- Wilson 1985, p. 252.
- Wilson 1985, p. 142.
- Wilson 1985, p. 251.
- "Alfred Ernest Allen". Find a Grave. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Gustafson, Barry (1986). The First 50 Years : A History of the New Zealand National Party. Auckland: Reed Methuen. ISBN 0-474-00177-6.
- Peterson, G. C. (ed.) (1971), Who's who in New Zealand (10th ed.), Wellington, [N.Z.]: A.H. & A.W. Reed
- Wilson, James Oakley (1985) [First ed. published 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1984 (4th ed.). Wellington: V.R. Ward, Govt. Printer. OCLC 154283103.
|New Zealand Parliament|
|Member of Parliament for Franklin
John Hannibal George
|Chairman of Committees of the House of Representatives
|Speaker of the New Zealand House of Representatives