Alison Young (sailor)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alison Young (born 29 May 1987 in Weymouth) is a British sailor. She competed in the Laser Radial class event at the 2012 Summer Olympics, where she placed fifth. At the 2016 Laser World Championships, she won gold in the laser radial class. Her best World Championship performance before this was fourth in 2012. She finished in 7th place in 2011.
Alison is one of the world’s leading Radial sailors. Over the past 18 months, Young made rapid progress in this single-handed dinghy class and now regularly finishes in the top five at international regattas. She was first in the 2012 ISAF World Cup and the Sail for Gold Regatta in Weymouth. However, at the 2016 Olympics, she finished in 8th place.
She also holds a first class degree in Civil Engineering.
Alison is a keen supporter of Parkinson’s Disease UK and often provides prizes for auction at fund-raising events in support of the charity. She has provided weekend sailing lessons which have raised very worthwhile donations. She is now providing training support and encouragement to her elder sister, Kathryn, who is competing in the London Marathon 2013, again to support Parkinson’s.
Alison is lending her support and encouragement to pupils of North Bromsgrove High School, Worcestershire in the national enterprise scheme which is designed to develop youngsters’ business and entrepreneurial skills in their final years at school. So far this year the pupils have reached the national stage of this scheme.
- "Alison Young profile". BBC Sport. 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "Alison Young". London 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Women's Laser Radial: Event Standings". London 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Laser World Championships: Alison Young wins Radial gold in Rio 2016 boost". BBC Sport. 2016-04-21. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "Giles Scott and Alison Young clinch gold for GB sailors". BBC Sport. 2012-06-09. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "Sailing: Laser Radial Women". BBC Sport. 2016-08-08. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
|This biographical article relating to a United Kingdom sportsperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|