All Saints Church, Alton Priors
|All Saints Church|
|Native name Church of All Saints|
|Location||Alton Priors, Wiltshire, England|
|Designated||27 May 1964|
All Saints Church in Alton Priors, Wiltshire, England, dates from the 12th century. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building, and is now a redundant church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It was declared redundant on 28 July 1972, and was vested in the Trust on 12 December 1973.
The church was built of limestone and malmstone rubble in the 12th century, but has undergone several major refurbishments since. In 1491, landowner John Button bequeathed lead to roof part of the church. In the 18th century the nave, 2 stage west tower and chancel were all replaced. The church contains Jacobean stall fronts and on the north side of the chancel a 16th-century tomb-chest surmounted by a monumental brass commemorates landowner William Button (died 1591), great-grandson of John.
The presence in the floor of the church of trapdoors giving access to Sarsen stones, and the presence of the 1,700-year-old Yew tree in the churchyard, suggest it was a sacred site long before the church was built.
The church is no longer used on a regular basis with three services a year being held.
- Historic England, "Church of All Saints, Alton (1364710)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 27 June 2013
- All Saints, Alton Priors, Churches Conservation Trust, retrieved 31 March 2011
- Diocese of Salisbury: All Schemes (PDF), Church Commissioners/Statistics, Church of England, 2011, p. 1, retrieved 31 March 2011
- D A Crowley, ed. (1980), "Parishes: Overton", A History of the County of Wiltshire: Downton Hundred; Elstub and Everleigh Hundred, 11, London, pp. 181–203, retrieved 14 November 2016
- "All Saints, Alton Priors". The Vale of Pewsey Team. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- Analysis of and speculation about the memorial plaque to William Button can be found here "The mystery plaque of Alton priors". Crop circle wisdom. Archived from the original on 6 October 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "All Saints (Alton Priors)". Megalithic Portal. Retrieved 26 September 2010.