Aloma Mariam Mukhtar
|Aloma Mariam Mukhtar
|14th Chief Justice of Nigeria|
16 July 2012 – 20 November 2014
|Preceded by||Dahiru Musdapher|
|Succeeded by||Mahmud Mohammed|
|Born||20 November 1944|
Aloma Mariam Mukhtar (born 20 November 1944) is a Nigerian jurist and former Chief Justice of Nigeria from July 2012 to November 2014. She was called to the English Bar in November, 1966 and to the Nigerian Bar in 1967.
President Goodluck Jonathan swore in Mukhtar on 16 July 2012 as the 13th indigenous Chief Justice of Nigeria, and conferred on her the Nigerian National Honour of the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON).
Mukhtar is from Adamawa state. She attended Saint. George’s Primary School, Zaria, St. Bartholomew’s School, Wusasa, Zaria, Rossholme School for Girls, East Brent, Somerset, England, Reading Technical College, Reading, Berkshire, England, and Gibson and Weldon College of Law, England, before being called to the English Bar in absentia in November, 1966.
- Office of the Legal Draftsman, Interim Common Services Agency, Magistrate Grade I, North Eastern State Government, 1971
- Chief Registrar, Kano State Government Judiciary, 1973
- Judge of the High Court of Kano State, 1977—1987
- Justice of the Court of Appeal of Nigeria, Ibadan division, 1987—1993
- Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, 2005—2012
- Justice of the Supreme Court of The Gambia 2011-2012
- Chief Justice of Nigeria, 2012—2014
In her career, Mukhtar has been many firsts: she is the first female lawyer from Northern Nigeria, first female judge of the High Court in Kano State judiciary, the first female justice of the Court of Appeal of Nigeria, the first female justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria and the first female Chief Justice of Nigeria.
During the course of her career she received several awards including the Nigerian national honor of Commander of the Order of Niger in 2006. Prior to that in 1993 she received a Gold Merit Award for her contribution in the development of law in Kano state and was also inducted into the Nigerian Hall of Fame in 2005.
- "ALOMA MUKHTAR: Making of Nigeria’s Female CJN". P.M. News. Independent Communications Network Limited. July 16, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "First female CJN sworn in, decorated GCON". The Nation (Nigeria). Vintage Press Limited. July 16, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Justice Mariam Aloma Muktar: A profile". The Nation (Nigeria). Vintage Press Limited. July 5, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Mukthar gets senate nod as CJN". Business Day (Nigeria). Frank Aigbogun. July 11, 2012. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- Lawal, Dare. "What a woman! 10 things you did not know about Nigeria's immediate past chief justice, Aloma Mukhtar - The ScoopNG". The Scoop. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- "Details - Supreme Court of Nigeria". supremecourt.gov.ng. Supreme court. Retrieved 8 December 2016.