This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|U.S.: Southeast and nationwide|
|Services||Digital, Physical, Global Distribution|
Altavoz (Spanish: Loudspeaker) is an American music distributor serving independent entertainers, covering a variety of musical genres. A year after the company's founding, it was purchased by investor Nelson Jacobsen and relaunched in Rockville, Maryland.
Nelson Jacobsen established Altavoz.com after its acquisition. The website offered downloads of digital sound files (.wav) and fifteen-second introductions to music streams.
By 1999, Altavoz had rolled out merchandise in big box stores such Best Buy and independent retailers nationwide. Their offerings expanded to vinyl records, books and more. By the time of the dot-com crash, Altavoz continued to provide stock to thousands of independent and big box stores and was receiving 1.2 million hits a day on the official website.
In 2011, Jacobsen took a new leadership role in the company as its CEO. In 2013, Altavoz began online presentations for distribution deals exporting US-made music. Part of the incorporation of the company included the non-profit "Help Earth Foundation." On September 25, 2015, Max Media Group, Inc. (MXMI) announced that its board of directors had voted unanimously to transfer a majority of the control of MXMI to Altavoz Entertainment.
As of late 2017, Jacobsen, a board member of MXMI, continues to lead Altavoz as CEO.
In collaboration with David Lynch, Altavoz released a limited-edition vinyl box set to benefit the David Lynch Foundation on Record Store Day in 2012. The compilation, Music That Changes the World, features 34 songs from Alanis Morissette, Tom Waits, Amanda Palmer, Ben Folds, Iggy Pop, Maroon 5, Neon Trees and more. The four-LP box set also includes a 42-page color book, custom-made by “Imprint Indie Printing” of N. Venice, Florida. The book, introduced by David Lynch, was illustrated by Nepali artist Romio Shrestha and New Jersey artist Davel Hamue. All songs were re-mastered for this project by Gavin Lurssen.
Exclusive library release (2015)
"Songs of Phillip Carter" was released exclusively to an estimated 120,000 Public Libraries in the USA before being made available to digital and physical outlets. Phillip Carter was the first gospel artist with an exclusive music release to the US Public Library system.
- Jack Mack and the Heart Attack
- K Mitch
- Love Dominique
- Theo Sampel - Sampel This (2006)
- Revival - Horses of War (2007)
- Dawn Richard - Golden Heart (2013)
- Bella Nae - H.I.G.H. XOXO (2013)
- Quinn Sullivan - Getting There (2013)
- Various Artist - Drop the Needle: Boston Punk Anthology (2013)
- VALIS - Minds through Space and Time (2013)
- Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein - Abominator (2013)
- Julie Doiron - So Many Days (2013)
- Argonauts - Whats Your Perfect Day (2013)
- Jack Mack And the Heart Attack* – Lookin’ Up (2013)
- Love Dominique* - Love Dominique (2014)
- Big Mucci - Shuffle, Step, Slide (2014)
- Lady Cam - Get It Got It (2014)
- Sunwolf - Angel Eyes (2014)
- Phillip Carter - Songs of Phillip Carter (Exclusive Library Release) ELR
- John Bull and The Bandits - Words to the Wise (2015)
- K. Mitch* - WDGAF (single)
* Not currently signed.
Billboard chart history
|UK Independent Albums Breakers||16|
|US Billboard 200||137|
|US Independent Albums||21|
|US Top Heatseekers Albums||2|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||22|
John Bull and the Bandits, Single "Mr. Bradley" April 9, 2015 #73 Billboard Blues Cart.
- "Nelson Jacobsen". angel.co. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Our Story". Altavoz Entertainment - Clicks to Bricks Distribution Solutions. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Max Media Group, Inc. Announces Transfer of Majority Control to Altavoz". Yahoo Finance. Max Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Altavoz Distribution: New Releases". www.musicthatchangestheworld.com. Archived from the original on 2014-05-18. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "David Lynch to Release Benefit Comp as Vinyl Box Set for Record Store Day". exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Exclusive Library Release in May 13th via HooplaDigital –..." Exclusive Library Release in May 13th via HooplaDigital. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- "Phillip Carter First Gospel Artist With Exclusive Music Release in the Public Library System". BlackGospel.com. 2015-05-30. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Independent Albums Breakers Top 20 - 26th January 2013". Official Charts Company. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Hampp, Andrew. "Dawn Richard's 'NLX': Exclusive Song Premiere". Billboard. New York. Archived from the original on February 1, 2013. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- "Artist Index" (PDF). Billboard. February 2, 2013. p. 2. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Not Too Young for the Blues : Teenage Blues Phenom Quinn Sullivan Releases 'Getting There'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- Blues Albums (2013-08-24). "Blues Music: Top Blues Albums Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "#73 Word To The Wise - EP - John Bull and the Bandits - album cover image" (PNG). Pbs.twing.com. Retrieved 2015-10-29.