Location of Alva in Lee County, Florida.
|• Total||18.8 sq mi (48.7 km2)|
|• Land||18 sq mi (46.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||116.1/sq mi (44.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0277830|
Alva is a census-designated place (CDP) in Lee County, Florida, United States situated on the Caloosahatchee River. The population was 2,182 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Alva is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 18.8 square miles (49 km2), of which 18.0 square miles (47 km2) is land and 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2) (4.47%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,182 people, 912 households, and 673 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 121.5 people per square mile (46.9/km²). There were 1,017 housing units at an average density of 56.7/sq mi (21.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.33% White, 0.18% African American, 0.32% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 1.24% from other races, and 1.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.89% of the population.
There were 912 households out of which 22.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.9% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.2% were non-families. 21.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.73.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 18.9% under the age of 18, 4.1% from 18 to 24, 22.1% from 25 to 44, 31.7% from 45 to 64, and 23.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $41,938, and the median income for a family was $48,073. Males had a median income of $35,300 versus $25,656 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $24,353. About 5.9% of families and 7.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.4% of those under age 18 and 2.7% of those age 65 or over.
Historic Library and Museum
Alva is the home of a small library dating back to 1909 and a chapel that opened in 1901. The Alva Library was the first library in what is today Lee County, Florida and was constructed in classical revival-style.
The Alva Library grew from the private Alva Book Club into the first public library in Southwest Florida, thanks in part to donation of land from Captain Peter Nelson. The founder of the book club and Alva's first librarian was Esther Hovey. The library closed in 1937, but remained in use over the years for various purposes such as high school art classes and a community center. In 1974, the Alva Garden Club turned the building into a museum with the Library Association trustees' permission.
- Ross Chastain- Stock car racing driver who competes full-time in the NASCAR Xfinity Series driving the number 4 Chevrolet Camaro for JD Motorsports
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Ross Chastain". teamjdmotorsports.com.
- "Alva Library Museum Rehabilitation". Stevenson Architects. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Alva Library & Museum". Alva Library & Museum. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Bennett Williams, Amy. "Reading, open house fundraiser at 1909 Alva Library". Retrieved 30 November 2015.