July 4, 1979 |
|May 12, 2011, for the New York Yankees|
|June 10, 2011, for the New York Yankees|
(through June 16, 2011)
|Earned run average||12.86|
Amauri Sanit Sabouren (born July 4, 1979) is a Cuban former professional baseball pitcher. Sanit played for the Industriales of the Cuban National Series before defecting from Cuba in 2006. He pitched in Major League Baseball for the New York Yankees in 2011, before joining the Tigres in 2012.
Sanit grew up boxing, but switched to baseball at age 16. He became a closer in the Cuban National Series for the Industriales. When Cuban officials became aware of Sanit's desire to play in the United States, they began to hold back his career to prevent him from being showcased, not allowing him to play on the Cuban national baseball team. As a result, Sanit defected in 2006.
In the Dominican Republic in 2008, the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball discovered Sanit and signed him to a minor league contract. Sanit was invited to the Yankees' spring training camp in 2010, but failed to make the final roster. While a member of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees of the Class AAA International League in 2010, he was suspended for 50 games for the use of performance-enhancing drugs.
Sanit made his major league debut on May 12, 2011, after the Yankees purchased his contract earlier in the day. As of 2016 he was one of 12 Yankees pitchers since 1919 to make his debut after turning 29 years old, with the most recent being Richard Bleier in 2016.
- "Amauri Sanit's Pinstripe Dreams « Mike Ashmore's Thunder Thoughts". Thunderbaseball.wordpress.com. May 29, 2009. Retrieved May 13, 2011.
- "Texas Rangers to take swings at Cuban defector | Dallas Morning News". Rangersblog.dallasnews.com. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "::::::::::Todos Los Deportes De Guatemala". Comotedeje.com. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Amauri Sanit, New York Yankees, MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball". Cbssports.com. Retrieved May 13, 2011.
- "New York Yankees Yankees farmhand Amaury Sanit suspended 50 games for positive performance-enhancing drug test - ESPN New York". Sports.espn.go.com. May 28, 2010. Retrieved May 13, 2011.
- "Yankees call up RHP Sanit, option INF Pena". USA Today. May 12, 2011.
- "Yankees' Richard Bleier makes big league debut". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- Dierkes, Tim. "Yankees Release Amaury Sanit". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved June 16, 2011.