American Drug War: The Last White Hope
|American Drug War|
|Directed by||Kevin Booth|
|Produced by||Sacred Cow|
|Starring||Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Jello Biafra, Chico Brown, Celerino Castillo III, Tommy Chong, Sergeant Lou Daigle, Dr. Gary Fisher, Judge James P. Gray, Dr. Charles Grob, Dr. Claudia Jensen, Gary Johnson, Dennis Kucinich, General Barry McCaffrey, Todd McCormick, Cynthia McKinney, Ron Paul, Joe Pietri, Tom Rhodes, Joe Rogan, Freeway Ricky Ross, Michael Ruppert, Robert Steele, and others.|
|Narrated by||Kevin Booth|
|Distributed by||Passion River|
|2007 / 2008|
The film states the War on Drugs has become one of the longest and most costly wars in American history. Texas filmmaker Kevin Booth sets out to prove his claim that the Drug War has failed. Three and a half years in the making, the film includes sections showing 62 people including: former DEA agents, CIA officers, narcotics officers, judges, politicians, gang members, prisoners and celebrities. There is also extensive treatment of CIA and Contras cocaine trafficking in the US. San Jose Mercury News journalist Gary Webb exposes the connection between the arrest of "Freeway" Rick Ross and his cocaine source who was employed with the CIA.
- 2007 Artivist Film Festival, Best Feature, Intl. Human Rights
- 2007 Silver Lake Film Festival, Best Documentary
- 2007 DIY Film Fest, Best Documentary
- 2006 Evil City, Best Documentary
- Picked up by Showtime in March 2008 to be aired for the next two years.
- Shown on Australia's Foxtel Crime & Investigation Network.
On an April 2008 episode of HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, actor Esai Morales brought up the documentary and told everyone at home to see it for themselves. Morales' comments became the focus of a "Pinheads and Patriots" segment on Bill O'Reilly's Fox News Channel television program.
- Breaking the Taboo, 2011 documentary
- Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs, 2015 book
- Bandow, Doug (December 20, 2004). "The Longest-Running War". The Future of Freedom Foundation.
- Wallace-Wells, Ben (December 13, 2007). "How America Lost the War on Drugs". Rolling Stone.
- "What's Wrong With the Drug War?". Drug Policy Alliance.
- Gary Webb (1999). Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion (2nd Ed.). Seven Stories Press.
- Market Wire (November 2007). 4th Annual Artivist Film Festival and Artivist Awards Announce the Winning Films of this Year's Festival. Press release.
- (2007). 2007 Silver Lake Film Festival Awards. Press release.
- Crime & Investigation Network
- on YouTube
- on YouTube