17 July 1971 |
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|As of June 5, 2009
Source: Official Website
Amit Thaker (Hindi: अमित ठाकर) (born 17 July 1971) is an Indian politician of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He is National Co-convener of Overseas BJP. He is former National President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (2007-2010).
Amit Thaker was born in Ahmedabad in Gujarat. His uncle was member of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), a socialist organization of India. From early childhood only he used to go to Sangh and was participating in Sangh activities. He was general secretary of L.J. Commerce College and also joined as a senate member of Gujarat University. He began his political career as a student leader in the 1989 after joining Gujarat Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad.
He has been associated with many social and cultural bodies in various capacities. He was President of the Gujarat chess association, Gujarat.
He started his political career as a government nominee in the Gujarat University's syndicate council when Keshubhai Patel was chief minister. He started his own colleges - the Lokmanya College of Computer Application and Lokmanya College of Commerce in Gujarat.
In 2003 when Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee made his China trip then Amit Thaker was member of the youth delegation. He also participated in the an International conference for terrorism in which delegates from 52 countries participated.
He was in lime light for opposing the Medha Patkar lead Narmada Bachao movement. He was accused of being manhandling Medha Patkar during the protest. He came second time in lime light for protesting against release of Aamir Khan Hindi movie Fanna in Gujarat.
In Decembe, 2004 he organised a protest at Jantar Mantar demanding abolition of the Illegal Migrants' Determination by Tribunals (IMDT) Act, 1983, terming it as a tool for vote-bank politics being played by the Congress. He become national president of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, youth wing of BJP on February 9, 2007. .
During 15th Lok Sabha election in 2009 he supported the issue raised by BJP Prime minister candidate Lal Krishna Advani for bringing back the Indian black money from Swiss banks. In May 2009 he protested against the invocation of the National Security Act on the BJP candidate for Lok Sabha from Pilibhit, Varun Gandhi. Finally Supreme court asked Mayawati government to revoke NSA from Varun Gandhi.
On 1 June 2009 he held a protest against the recent alleged racist attacks on Indian students studying in Australia and demanding increased security for them. He has been National Co-convener of Overseas BJP since 2010 and active in Gujrat BJP.
- 1989 - 1990 - Secretary, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad, Ahmadabad
- 1990 - 1994 - Joint Secretary, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad, Ahmadabad
- 1995 - Secretary, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, Gujarat
- 2002 - President, Gujarat chess association
- 1997 - 2004 - President, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, Gujarat
- 2004 - 2007 - General Secretary of the Yuva Morcha
- 2007-2010 - National President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha
- 2010 - Continue.. National Co-convenor of Overseas BJP
- "Protest against IMDT Act". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2004-12-04. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "Amit Thaker takes over BJP Yuva chief". One India. Retrieved 2007-02-10.
- "BJP Yuva Morcha campaign". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2009-04-05. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "BJP youth wing protests against booking of Varun under NSA". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2009-04-05. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "BJYM protests attacks on Indian students in Australia". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2009-06-02. Retrieved 2009-06-02.