|• Municipal unit||154.759 km2 (59.753 sq mi)|
|Elevation||70 m (230 ft)|
|• Municipal unit||8,055|
|• Municipal unit density||52/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|• Population||6,083 (2011)|
|• Area (km2)||38.632|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Postal code||404 00|
Ampelonas (Greek: Αμπελώνας, Greek pronunciation: [abe'lonas]) is a village and a municipal unit of the Tyrnavos municipality. Before the 2011 local government reform it was an independent municipality. The 2011 census recorded 6,083 inhabitants in the village and 8,055 inhabitants in the municipal unit. The community of Ampelonas covers an area of 38.632 km2 while the respective municipal unit covers an area of 154.759 km2.
The municipali unit of Ampelonas consists of four communities:
- Ampelonas (population 6,083)
- Deleria (population 655)
- Rodia (population 732)
- Vryotopos (population 585)
Ampelonas was founded in the first quarter of the 15th century, when Murad II settled Yörüks in the area. Following the 1881 Convention of Constantinople and the cession of Thessaly to Greece, the Turks of the village sold their properties and immigrated to Asia Minor, while Greeks moved in the area. Until 1928 the village was named Kazaklar (Greek: Καζακλάρ, Greek pronunciation: [kazak'laɾ]).
Ampelonas is a rural area and its main products are grapes, wine and tsipouro. Ampelonas Wine Festival is held annually in the village since 1959. Cotton, cereals, corn, almonds, pears and peaches are grown in the area. Moreover, there are cultivations of fruits and vegetables like cabbages, peppers, tomatoes, melons and watermelons.
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (in Greek)
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21.
- Αμπελώνας (in Greek). Municipality of Tyrnavos. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Kazaklar -- Ampelon" (in Greek). Pandektis. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Γιορτή κρασιού Αμπελώνα (in Greek). Municipality of Tyrnavos. Retrieved 12 August 2015.