Anderson Tanoto is a member of the Board of Trustees at Tanoto Foundation, a philanthropic organization involved in poverty alleviation through education, "empowerment" and "the enhancement of the quality of lives". Tanoto is the youngest son of businessman and philanthropist Sukanto Tanoto. He received his education from University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Economics.In October 2017, he was named to The Wharton School's "40 Under 40" list, which seeks to recognise impressive young Wharton alumni. Tanoto also sits on the Wharton Executive Board of Asia. 
After graduation, Tanoto became a consultant at Bain & Company focusing in consumer products and financial services. While at Bain, he acquired expertise within Southeast Asia, working with clients in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.
Tanoto joined Royal Golden Eagle (RGE) in March 2013 and currently serves as a director. Founded by his father, Sukanto Tanoto, RGE manages a group of resource-based manufacturing companies operating in Indonesia, China, Brazil, Canada and Europe, with over US$18 billion in assets and a workforce of 60,000 people.He spends most of his time leading RGE-managed APRIL's operations located in Pangkalan Kerinci, Riau, Indonesia. He is also involved in the company's business transformationand received praise for his approach to growing the business efficiently and personally emphasizing the company's commitment to sustainability.
At COP 21 on Dec 1, 2015, Tanoto announced APRIL's US$100 million investment in an expanded eco-restoration project in Riau, spanning 150,000 hectares.He also provides strategic direction on the Riau Ecosystem Restoration project in Kampar, Sumatra, Indonesia.
Further to this, Tanoto was involved in developing the Fire-Free Village Programme, which launched July 2015 and involved cultivating and incentivizing villages in Riau to adopt fire prevention practices. The Programme helped drive a significant reduction in fires in participating villages, and was later scaled from 9 to 20 villages in 2016. At the Responsible Business Forum in Jakarta in February 2017, Tanoto was a panelist as the Fire Free Alliance—an industry group comprising members APRIL, Asian Agri, IDH, Musim Mas, PM.Haze, and Wilmar—marked its first anniversary in contributing solutions to Indonesia’s persistent fire and haze problems with a focus on fire prevention through community engagement.
On May 2, 2018, Tanoto was appointed Chairman of the Brazil Committee under the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin). The committee was set up to boost trade relations between Indonesia and Brazil. 
Apart from his business interests, Tanoto also works in community development and philanthropy, which was sparked in his youth when his parents frequently brought him and his siblings to Indonesian fields and plantations. His experiences spending several summers in Kerinci, Riau, would influence his future contributions to community building and sustainable development. He is actively involved in the Tanoto Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization founded in 1981 by the Tanoto family to reduce poverty through education, empowerment and enhancement. As a member of the Board of Trustees of Tanoto Foundation, Tanoto drives various foundation initiatives focusing on Indonesia's next generation.
He initiated a seed funding program for Tanoto Foundation scholars to promote entrepreneurship, and actively participates in the Tanoto Entrepreneurship Series (TES) where prominent speakers such as Jusuf Kalla and then-Jakarta governor Joko Widodo have spoken to the students and scholars of Tanoto Foundation. He believes that entrepreneurship plays a crucial role in forming a dynamic emerging economy.
- "Vision & Mission | Tanoto Foundation". Tanoto Foundation. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "Eco push, pulp friction". The Straits Times. 2015-07-02. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Wharton School Magazine: 40 Under 40".
- "Wharton School Executive Board for Asia". Archived from the original on 2017-12-12.
- "Anderson Tanoto". RISING TO THE CHALLENGE. 2016-07-29. Archived from the original on 2016-11-15. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "WEF Davos 2016 Indonesia Lunch Dialogue | Inside RGE". Inside RGE. 2016-02-12. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Ambition Runs in Corporate Clan's Blood: Anderson | Jakarta Globe". Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Forbes Global CEO: Anderson Tanoto". Archived from the original on 2017-12-13.
- "Why rural Indonesia is ripe for investment". World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Anderson Tanoto | A GENERATION EMERGES". forbesasianexttycoons.com. Archived from the original on 2016-11-15. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "A personal journey through the haze". The Straits Times. 2014-11-07. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Paper corporate to step up forest conservation". The Jakarta Post.
- "Indonesian firm pledges S$141m to restore peatlands". The Straits Times.
- "April Group Invests US$100 Million for Peat Restoration". MetroTV News. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- "The year in rainforests: 2015". Mongabay.
- "Paper corporation to step up forest conservation". The Jakarta Post. Dec 1, 2015.
- "How can Indonesia extinguish its forest fires for good?". World Economic Forum.
- "Fire Free Village Programme". Responsible Business. Archived from the original on 2016-08-03. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "Riau Ecosystem Restoration (RER) - Restoring Peatland Landscape Through Partnership". Indonesia Pavilion COP21.
- "A step closer towards national movement, Fire-Free Village Program to free Indonesia from fire and haze". The Jakarta Post.
- "Programme to get Indonesian farmers to stop burning land sees results". Channel NewsAsia.
- "100 'fire-free villages' take on Indonesia's haze hazard". Climate Home.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Fire Free Alliance claims to have dramatically reduced forest fires in Sumatra s..." The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Mitigation program reduces forest fires: FFA". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "One Year On, Fire Free Alliance Addresses Forest Fire & Haze in Over 200 Indonesian Villages - Inside RGE". Inside RGE. 2017-03-16. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- "Kadin establishes Brazil committee". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "Kadin Sets Up Committee to Boost Trade Ties Between Indonesia, Brazil". Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "RI, Brazil to cooperate beyond commodity trading". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "Wharton Magazine: 40 Under 40".
- "CNBC Lasting Legacy: Hard work the key for the family behind Singapore based resources giant RGE".
- "Tanoto Foundation | Founded in 1981 by Sukanto Tanoto and family". Tanoto Foundation. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Tanoto Entrepreneurship Series Features Sudhamek AWS". Inside RGE. 2014-10-20. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Semangat Wirausaha Melalui Tanoto Entrepreneurship Series". Tanoto Foundation (in Indonesian). 2016-09-07. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- Tanoto Foundation (2014-10-30), Tanoto Entrepreneurship Series 2014, retrieved 2016-11-15
- Inside RGE (2014-11-30), Joko Widodo: brace yourself to be an entrepreneur!, retrieved 2016-11-15