March 7, 1987|
Moreno Valley, California
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
Andre Jerome McGee (born March 7, 1987) is a former American basketball coach and player who was most recently assistant coach at the University of Missouri–Kansas City (UMKC). McGee played college basketball at Louisville under Rick Pitino and one year professionally in Germany before returning to Louisville as an assistant, first a graduate assistant then director of operations.
He resigned as assistant coach on October 23, 2015; he is the figure at the center of the 2015 University of Louisville basketball sex scandal.
High school career
McGee was the starting point guard for the 2008-09 Louisville Cardinals men's basketball team.
Professional playing career
McGee returned to Louisville as a graduate assistant on Rick Pitino's staff in 2010. McGee was promoted to director of basketball operations at Louisville in 2012. After the 2013–14 season, he left Louisville to become an assistant at UMKC under former Louisville assistant Kareem Richardson. It was alleged that during the time McGee was employed at Louisville, he procured strippers and prostitutes for some recruits and their fathers at campus parties from 2010 to 2014. Based on this allegation and a corresponding investigation by the NCAA, Louisville voluntarily withdrew from post-season play for the 2015–16 season. The NCAA eventually placed the Cardinals on four years of probation and imposed a 10-year show-cause penalty on McGee, and after a failed appeal, the Cardinals were stripped of their 2013 national title, becoming the first Division I basketball team of either sex to be stripped of a national championship.
McGee's family has a history of playing college basketball. His father Anthony McGee played basketball at Long Beach State. His oldest brother, Tony McGee, played at Eastern Washington University and older brother Antoine McGee played at the University of Colorado.
- McGee resigns at UKMC Retrieved October 23, 2015
- "Andre McGee basketball profile". eurobasket.com. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "McGee Announced as UMKC Men's Basketball Assistant Coach" (Press release). UMKC Athletics. May 2, 2014. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Louisville Men's Basketball Team Is Out of Post-Season". New York Times. February 5, 2016. Archived from the original on February 9, 2016.
- Medcalf, Myron (June 15, 2017). "Louisville to appeal NCAA penalties from alleged sex scandal". ESPN.com. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- Schlabach, Mark (February 20, 2018). "NCAA denies Louisville's appeal, rules Cardinals must vacate 2013 national title". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Andre McGee". University of Louisville. Archived from the original on February 21, 2011. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Robinson, Tom (March 29, 2008). "Louisville guard dealing with rare genetic condition". The Virginian-Pilot. Archived from the original on May 23, 2011.