|Thesis||Criticality in bulk and semi-infinite systems (1989)|
|Doctoral advisor||Michael Fisher|
Andrea J. Liu is the Hepburn Professor of Physics at the University of Pennsylvania. Her research uses both mathematical analysis and computer simulations to study condensed matter physics and biophysics. She is particularly known for her study of jamming, a phenomenon in which materials become rigid with increasing density.
Liu graduated from the University of California, Berkeley in 1984, and earned a Ph.D. in 1989 from Cornell University under the supervision of Michael Fisher. After postdoctoral studies at Exxon and the University of California, Santa Barbara, she joined the faculty at the University of California, Los Angeles in 1993, and moved to the University of Pennsylvania in 2004. She became the Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Professor in the Natural Sciences in 2009, before becoming the Hepburn Professor in 2011.
Awards and honors
In 2012, Liu became a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science "for distinguished contributions in theoretical physics, particularly for demonstrating that slow relaxation in many different systems can be viewed within a common framework called jamming." In 2016 she was elected to the National Academy of Sciences.
- Liu, Andrea J.; Fisher, Michael E. (March 1989), "The three-dimensional Ising model revisited numerically", Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 156 (1): 35–76, Bibcode:1989PhyA..156...35L, doi:10.1016/0378-4371(89)90109-x.
- Liu, Andrea J.; Nagel, Sidney R. (November 1998), "Nonlinear dynamics: Jamming is not just cool any more", News and Views, Nature, 396 (6706): 21–22, Bibcode:1998Natur.396...21L, doi:10.1038/23819.
- O'Hern, Corey S.; Silbert, Leonardo E.; Liu, Andrea J.; Nagel, Sidney R. (July 2003), "Jamming at zero temperature and zero applied stress: The epitome of disorder", Physical Review E, 68 (1), arXiv:cond-mat/0304421, Bibcode:2003PhRvE..68a1306O, doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.68.011306.
- Harris, Tajie H.; Banigan, Edward J.; Christian, David A.; Konradt, Christoph; Tait Wojno, Elia D.; Norose, Kazumi; Wilson, Emma H.; John, Beena; Weninger, Wolfgang; Luster, Andrew D.; Liu, Andrea J.; Hunter, Christopher A. (May 2012), "Generalized Lévy walks and the role of chemokines in migration of effector CD8+ T cells", Letters, Nature, 486: 545–548, Bibcode:2012Natur.486..545H, doi:10.1038/nature11098, PMC 3387349, PMID 22722867.
- Faculty profile, University of Pennsylvania, retrieved 2016-05-14.
- Andrea Liu elected to AAAS, Penn Physics & Astronomy, retrieved 2016-05-17.
- Curriculum vitae (PDF), retrieved 2016-05-17.
- Andrea J. Liu named Hepburn Professor of Physics, Penn Arts & Sciences, July 12, 2011, retrieved 2016-05-17.
- National Academy of Sciences Members and Foreign Associates Elected, News from the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Sciences, May 3, 2016, retrieved 2016-05-14.