|Chairman of the Arizona Democratic Party|
January 22, 2011 – January 30, 2012
|Preceded by||Don Bivens|
|Succeeded by||Bill Roe|
Andrei Hugo Cherny
August 4, 1975
Los Angeles, California
|Residence||Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Harvard University (B.A.) |
UC Berkeley School of Law (J.D)
|Profession||Attorney, Author, Navy Reserve Officer|
Andrei Hugo Cherny (born August 4, 1975) is an American lawyer, author, former political consultant, and the founder and President of Democracy: A Journal of Ideas. Cherney serves as the CEO of Aspiration, Inc., a financial firm based in Marina del Rey, California.
Cherny graduated with honors from Harvard College. He later received his Juris Doctor from the UC Berkeley School of Law with support from The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans.
As a writer for The Harvard Crimson, he wrote political pieces highlighting Clinton's reelection campaign. The White House communications director noticed his column and circulated it until it finally reached President Clinton's desk. Clinton used several of Cherny's lines in his 1997 inaugural address and hired the twenty-one-year-old Cherny ten days later. Cherny was the youngest White House speechwriter in American history. President Clinton has called him a “critical part of the team” which brought about the economic successes of the 1990s.
Cherny then went on to be an advisor to other elected officials and business leaders. He has provided policy and strategic advice to Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and the top executives of companies such as Microsoft and Intel.
Cherney was the Director of Speechwriting and Special Advisor on Policy for the John Kerry 2004 presidential campaign. He was credited with the new strategy that revised Kerry's faltering primary candidacy and helped win him the Democratic nomination.
Cherny was a Visiting Fellow at the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs in 2004. In 2011, he was a Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress.
Cherny co-founded Aspiration, Inc., an online financial company, with Joseph Sanberg in 2013. Aspiration enables customers to choose their own fee levels on checking and investment accounts, and offers managed funds that are 100% fossil-fuel free.
- Locker, Melissa (2019-02-14). "Aspiration CEO Andrei Cherny thinks this breakfast sandwich maker is one of the greatest inventions of all time". Fast Company. Retrieved 2019-11-08.
- "Fleischman-Cherny". Jewish Exponent.
- http://www.jewishaz.com/issues/story.mv?120525+primary[permanent dead link]
- "Why Arizona Democrat Andrei Cherny, 'Clinton's Truest Heir,' Has Made Israel the Focus of His Congressional Race". Tablet Magazine.
- "Arizona Democratic Party leader Andrei Cherny announces resignation". azcentral.com.
- "Alum Makes Bid for Ariz. Congress Seat".
- "Bill Clinton: Why I support Andrei Cherny". YouTube.
- "Andrei Cherny". Huffington Post.
- "PUBLIC LIVES - At 24, a Political Veteran, Vacuum Cleaner to Platform - NYTimes.com". 3 July 2000.
- "THE 2004 CAMPAIGN - THE MASSACHUSETTS SENATOR - With Cry of 'Bring It On,' Kerry Shifted Tack to Regain Footing - NYTimes.com". 1 February 2004.
- "Andrei Cherny". Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs.
- "RELEASE: Andrei Cherny Joins CAP as Senior Fellow". name.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2012-10-29.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Andrei Cherny". East Valley Tribune.
- Henry, Zoë (2017-06-15). "This Founder Grew Up on Food Stamps. Now He Runs a Digital Money Manager for the Middle Class". Inc.com. Retrieved 2019-12-25.
- "Aspiration - Do Well. Do Good". Aspiration. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- The Next Deal.
- "The Candy Bombers by Andrei Cherny". Archived from the original on 2014-12-11.
- "STATE ASSEMBLY: CHERNY, LEVINE IN DEAD HEAT; MONTANEZ AHEAD OF FUENTES".
- http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2011-01-27/news/new-hope/ New Democratic Party Chairman Andrei Cherny - Phoenix New Times 2011-1-27
- González, Daniel (Aug 28, 2012). "Sinema, Parker win in Congressional District 9". Arizona Republic.
- "Arizona election results - Phoenix elections results". Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- AndreiForArizona.com, campaign website
- Andrei Cherny on The Huffington Post
- Interview on The Candy Bomber's at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library on September 25, 2008
|Party political offices|
| Chair of the Arizona Democratic Party
2011 – 2012