Andrew Jackson Jihad
||This article may be written from a fan's point of view, rather than a neutral point of view. (February 2014)|
|Andrew Jackson Jihad|
Andrew Jackson Jihad performing at the Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights in 2014
|Also known as||AJJ, Andrew JJ|
|Genres||Folk punk, anti-folk, acoustic rock|
|Instruments||Acoustic and electric guitars, stand up bass, drums, keyboards, mandolin, cello, banjitar, horns, kazoo|
|Labels||SideOneDummy, Asian Man, Plan-It-X|
|Associated acts||Ghost Mice, Mischief Brew, Cobra Skulls, Bomb the Music Industry!|
Andrew Jackson Jihad is an American folk-punk band from Phoenix, Arizona, formed in 2004. The band has obtained much coverage for their lyricism, which often covers themes of social anxiety, poverty, humanity, religion, existentialism, and politics.
Andrew Jackson Jihad was formed by Sean Bonnette, Ben Gallaty and drummer Justin James White who left the band soon after. Since then, many musicians have sat in with the remaining duo of Sean and Ben, including (but not limited to): Jeff Rosenstock, Stephen Steinbrink, Lee Hartney, Abe Gil of Treasure Mammal, John de la Cruz of Fatigo and ROAR's Owen Evans. Kepi Ghoulie of the Groovie Ghoulies whistled for them in the recording of the song "Sense, Sensibility". Dylan Cook of Partners In 818 also plays mandolin regularly with the band. The constantly shifting lineup results in wide-ranging sound both live and on record.
In 2008 the band was a part of the Asian Man Records "Making Punk Fun Again" tour with The Queers, Bomb the Music Industry!, Lemuria, and Kepi Ghoulie. 2008 also saw the release of "Only God Can Judge Me", a mostly acoustic EP on Plan-it-X Records.
In 2009, the band's third record, Can't Maintain, was released by Asian Man Records. They toured the US with Kepi Ghoulie and Partners in 818, and had to say goodbye to their van, named Wolfenstein 3D: The Van.
In 2010, the band toured the US with Blunt Mechanic, Europe with Kepi Ghoulie, and the west coast with Royal Monsters.
2011 had the band go on their second European tour. They also played festivals such as Plan-It-X Fest and the Asian Man Records 15th Anniversary. The band's fourth full length album, Knife Man, was released on September 20 by Asian Man Records. In support of this record, the band was a part of a full US tour with Frank Turner and Into It. Over It.
2012 was a busy year of extensive touring, with the band expanding to include Preston Bryant (guitar/keyboards) and Deacon Batchelor (drums) to create a full band touring lineup. In March, the band toured with Laura Stevenson and ROAR, which was quickly followed by another tour in April with Joyce Manor and Treasure Fleet. In September, the band did a short string of shows with Against Me! and Joyce Manor, followed by a full US tour with Future of the Left.
2013 saw yet another busy year for the band. In April, singer/guitarist Sean Bonnette went on a solo tour with Ian Graham of Cheap Girls. Sean Bonnette also collaborated on a track with Sole that was released in May. In September, the band's first live album, "Live at the Crescent Ballroom", was released by Asian Man Records. In November, the band embarked on a west coast tour with The Gunshy.In June, the band had recorded a new album entitled Christmas Island with John Congleton and members of their full touring lineup Preston Bryant and Deacon Batchelor. The album was released on May 6, 2014 on Side One Dummy Records.
- Candy Cigarettes & Cap Guns (2005)
- People That Can Eat People Are the Luckiest People in the World (2007)
- Can't Maintain (2009)
- Knife Man (2011)
- Christmas Island (2014)
- Live at Trunk Space 08/25/05 (2006)
- Live at The Crescent Ballroom (2013)
- Live at Knitting Factory (2015)
- Issue Problems (2006)
- Art of the Underground Volume 19 (2007)
- Only God Can Judge Me (2008)
- Operation Stackola (2009)
- Holiday In(n) Gainesville (2009)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / Flaspar / Golden Boots (2006)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / Ghost Mice (2007)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / French Quarter (2007)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / Partners in 818 (2007)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / Mischief Brew (2009)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / Cobra Skulls - Under The Influence Vol. 6 (2009)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / Apocalypse Meow - Pug Life (2009)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / The Gunshy (2010)
- Andrew Jackson Jihad / O Pioneers!!! (2011)
- Candy Cigarettes, Capguns, Issue Problems and Such (2011)
- Rompilation (2012)
- Rompilation 2.0: The Digitizing (2014)
- Holey Man, Holy War (2004)
- Demo II (2004)
- Demo III (2004)
- Home Style (Recordings)
- "A Jihad on All Sorts of Topics". Arizona Daily News, September 22, 2005.
- Andrew Jackson Jihad. Houston Press, January 10, 2008.
- 2006 Best of Phoenix. Phoenix New Times.
- Andrew Jackson Jihad at Allmusic
- Album Review, Absolutepunk.net, October 3, 2007.
- Queers, Lemuria, Bomb The Music Industry on Asian Man Tour Alternative Press, February 1, 2008.
- Tour with Kepi Ghoulie and Partners in 818. AndrewJacksonJihad.com, November 24, 2009.
-  AndrewJacksonJihad.com, August 16, 2010.
- Plan-It-X Fest sold out in 3 hours. PunkNews.org, November 24, 2010.
- Asian Man to celebrate 15 years with history-spanning lineup. PunkNews.org, November 19, 2010.
- "Asian Man Records". Asian Man Records. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "Andrew Jackson Jihad to Tour with Frank Turner" NationalUnderground.org, September 22, 2011.
- Andrew Jackson Jihad announce tour with Laura Stevenson and the Cans, Roar. Yancey, Bryne. Alternative Press, January 30, 2012.
- Andrew Jackson Jihad announce tour with Joyce Manor. Yancey, Bryne. Alternative Press, March 1, 2012.
- Andrew Jackson Jihad to Tour With Against Me!; No, They Aren't Playing Here. Woodbury, Jason P. "Phoenix New Times" magazine, July 5, 2012.
- "Future of the Left touring w/ Andrew Jackson Jihad (dates); updated lineup for The Fest". Harrison, Caroline. Brooklyn Vegan, August 23, 2012.
- Tours: Sean Bonnette (Andrew Jackson Jihad) / Ian Graham (Cheap Girls). Punknews.org, February 7, 2013.
- Sole – “Civil War” w/ Ceschi Ramos, Sean Bonnette, Skyrider UGSMag, May 2, 2013.
- ANDREW JACKSON JIHAD "Live at the Crescent Ballroom" LP Asian Man Records, September 3, 2013.
- CincyPunk Fest, The Fest, November Tour with The Gunshy and Other Such Updates AndrewJacksonJihad.com, October 3, 2013.
- Andrew Jackson Jihad (Official) Facebook page June 11, 2013.