Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Local Health Board (LHB) was launched in October 2009 through the merger of Gwent Healthcare NHS Trust and Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Newport, Torfaen and Monmouthshire LHBs. It is named after Aneurin Bevan, a Member of Parliament who represented the area and who was the government Minister of Health responsible for the foundation of the National Health Service.
The total catchment area for healthcare services contains a population of approximately 600,000. Acute, intermediate, primary and community care and mental health services are all provided by the LHB. Services are delivered across a network of primary-care practices, community clinics, health centres, one learning disability hospital, a number of community hospitals, mental health facilities, one local general hospital and three district general hospitals – Royal Gwent, Nevill Hall and Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr. In 2010 Ysbyty Aneurin Bevan hospital replaced several small community hospitals in Blaenau Gwent. A new Specialist and Critical Care Centre is planned to open by 2020 on the site of the existing Llanfrechfa Grange Hospital.
The Health Board employs 14,000 staff, two thirds of whom are involved in direct patient care. There are more than 250 consultants in a total of over 1,000 hospital and general practice doctors, 6,000 nurses, midwives, allied professionals and community workers.
- Blaenavon Hospital, Blaenavon (Closed)
- Maindiff Court Hospital, Abergavenny
- Nevill Hall Hospital, Abergavenny
- Redwood Memorial Hospital, Rhymney
- Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport
- St Cadoc's Hospital, Caerleon, Newport
- St Woolos Hospital, Newport
- Ysbyty Aneurin Bevan, Blaenau Gwent
- Ysbyty’r Tri Chwm, Ebbw Vale
- Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr, Ystrad Mynach
- Chepstow Community Hospital, Chepstow
- Aberbargoed Hospital, Aberbargoed (closed 2010)
- Abertillery and District Hospital, Abertillery (closed 2008)
- Blaina & District Hospital, Blaina (closed 2010)
- Caerphilly District Miners Hospital, Caerphilly (closed 2011)
- Llanfrechfa Grange Hospital, Cwmbran (closed 2013)
- Monmouth Hospital, Monmouth (closed 2006)
- Oakdale Hospital, Oakdale (closed 2011)
- Tredegar General Hospital, Tredegar (closed 2010)
- Ystrad Mynach Hospital, Ystrad Mynach (closed 2011)
- "Ysbyty Aneurin Bevan Officially Opened.....". Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board. 10 December 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Aneurin Bevan Health Board fined £70,000 for data breach". BBC Online News. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Aneurin Bevan Health Board in first data breach fine (with video)". BBC Online News. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.