Arame of Urartu
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Arame(Arama or Aramu)|
|King of Urartu|
Living at the time of King Shalmaneser III of Assyria (ruled 859–824 BC), Arame fought against the threat of the Assyrian Empire. His capital at Arzashkun was captured by Shalmaneser. Sagunia, a previous capital, which was also captured by Shalamaneser, seems to have been located in the vicinity of Mt. Ararat.
Arame has been suggested as the prototype of both Aram (and, correspondingly the popular given name Aram) and Ara the Beautiful, two of the legendary forefathers of the Armenian people. Khorenatsi's History (1.5) puts them six and seven generations after Haik, in the chronology of historian Mikayel Chamchian dated to the 19th to 18th century BC.
He is not to be confused with the another king Aramu (also known as Adramu and Atarsamek) who ruled at the same time in Bit Agusi and also fought Shalemaneser III.
- History in Africa, Volume 2, p. 93. African Studies Association., 1975.
- The Ancient Assyrians - Page 12 by Mark Healy
- John Boardman, E. Sollberger. "The Cambridge Ancient History." (1970). p. 265. 
- Paul Zimansky. Ecology and Empire: The Structure of the Urartian State. p. 49. 
- "Արամ" in H. Ačaṙean (1926-35), Hayocʿ Anjnanunneri Baṙaran (Yerevan: Yerevan State University), 2nd ed., 1942-62
- Lang (1970), p. 85.
- Авдиев В. И. «История Древнего Востока», М.: «Высшая школа», 1970, с. 419 420.
- Petrosyan, Armen The Indo-European and Ancient Near Eastern Sources of the Armenian Epic  (2002) pp. 73.
- Petrosyan, Armen. Toward the Origins of the Armenian People: The Problem of the Identification of the Proto-Armenians: A Critical Review  (2007). pp. 31.
- David Marshall Lang, Armenia: Cradle of Civilization (1970).
|This biography of an Armenian ruler or member of a royal family is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Ancient Near East biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|