Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Aaron Woodley|
|Music by||David Buckley|
|Edited by||Lesley Mackay Hunter|
|Distributed by||Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures|
|Box office||10.1 million million|
Arctic Dogs (also known as Arctic Justice or Polar Squad in the UK) is a 2019 computer-animated comedy film co-written and directed by Aaron Woodley and co-directed by Dimos Vrysellas. The film stars the voices of Jeremy Renner, Heidi Klum, James Franco, John Cleese, Omar Sy, Michael Madsen, Laurie Holden, Anjelica Huston, and Alec Baldwin.
The film was released on 1 November 2019 by Entertainment Studios in Canada and the United States. It was panned by critics and was a box office bomb, grossing $9.86 million against a production budget of $50 million.
Swifty the Arctic Fox (Jeremy Renner) works in the mailroom of the Arctic Blast Delivery Service, but he has much bigger dreams. He yearns to become a Top Dog, the Arctic's star husky couriers. To prove he can do it, he commandeers one of the sleds and delivers a mysterious package to a secret location. Once there, he stumbles on a hidden fortress overseen by the nefarious Otto Von Walrus (John Cleese). The blubbery evil genius commands an army of oddly polite puffin henchmen. Swifty discovers Otto Von Walrus' villainous plan to drill beneath the snow-packed surface to unleash masses of ancient gas to melt the Arctic and become the world's supreme ruler. To stop this sinister scheme, Swifty enlists the help of his friends: Polar bear(Alec Baldwin), a neurotic polar bear, Lemmy (James Franco), a scatterbrained albatross, Jade Fox (Heidi Klum), a brainy engineer, Leopold (Omar Sy) and Bertha (also voiced by Heidi Klum), two conspiracy theorist otters and Magda (Anjelica Huston), his curmudgeonly boss.
- Jeremy Renner as Swifty, an Arctic fox.
- Alec Baldwin as PB, an introverted polar bear.
- Heidi Klum as Jade, a tough-as-nails red fox mechanic.
- John Cleese as Otto Van Walrus, a British-accented walrus
- Anjelica Huston as Magda, a Russian-accented caribou
- James Franco as Lemmy, a scatterbrained albatross.
- Omar Sy as Leopold, a French-accented conspiracy theorist otter.
- Michael Madsen as Duke, a Husky employed by Arctic Blast Delivery Service
- Laurie Holden as Dakota, another Husky employed by the Arctic Blast Delivery Service
- Donny Falsetti as Dusty, another Husky employed by the Arctic Blast Delivery Service
- Nina Senicar as Countdown Inka, the countdown voice of Otto's machine.
- Aaron Woodley as Puffins
- Soraya Azzabi as Alma
- Jason Deline as Naz
Arctic Dogs was released on 1 November 2019, in both Canada and the United States.
In the United States and Canada, Arctic Dogs was released alongside Harriet, Terminator: Dark Fate and Motherless Brooklyn, and was projected to gross $5–10 million from 2,835 theaters in its opening weekend. It made $700,000 on its first day, and ended up debuting to just $2.9 million ($47 million was lost), finishing 10th and marking the worst opening of all-time for a film playing in over 2,800 theaters.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 13% based on 16 reviews, with an average rating of 3.09/10. Metacritic assigned the film a weighted average score of 28 out of 100, based on four critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B–" on an A+ to F scale, while those at PostTrak gave it an overall positive score of 64% and a 41% "definite recommend".
The film was released on DVD and Blu-Ray on 4 February 2020 by Lionsgate Home Entertainment.
- "Ambi Group And Barajoun Entertainment Ink Multi-Year, Multi-Picture Joint Venture- Berlin". Deadline Hollywood. 11 February 2016. Archived from the original on 17 August 2019. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "Artic Dogs (2019)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- "Artic Dogs (2019)". The Numbers. IMDb. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- McNary, Dave (24 August 2016). "Jeremy Renner Joins 'Arctic Justice: Thunder Squad' as Lead Character". Variety.com. Archived from the original on 28 December 2016. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Common Sense Media
- Rubin, Rebecca (29 October 2019). "Box Office: 'Terminator: Dark Fate' to Take Down 'Harriet,' 'Motherless Brooklyn'". Variety. Archived from the original on 29 October 2019. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (3 November 2019). "'How 'Terminator: Dark Fate' Conked Out With $27M+ & Why 'The Irishman' Is Not A Missed Strategic Opportunity – Box Office". Deadline. Archived from the original on 3 November 2019. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- "'Arctic Dogs' Bombs, Worst Opening Of All-Time In 2,800+ Theaters". Cartoon Brew. 3 November 2019. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- "Arctic Dogs (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Archived from the original on 1 November 2019. Retrieved 22 May 2020.
- "Arctic Dogs Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 10 November 2019.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Arctic Dogs|