Area code 717
Area code 717 is a telephone area code which serves South Central Pennsylvania. It covers the Harrisburg, Lancaster and York metropolitan areas, as well as most of the area generally reckoned as Pennsylvania Dutch Country.
717 was one of the original area codes established in 1947. It originally covered the eastern half of the state except for the Delaware and Lehigh valleys. It stretched from the Maryland border to the south to the New York and New Jersey borders, making it the largest of Pennsylvania's original four area codes and the second-largest east of the Mississippi River that didn't cover an entire state (behind Michigan's 616).
Despite the presence of five of the state's 15 largest cities--Harrisburg, Lancaster, York, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre--this part of Pennsylvania is not as densely populated as the Delaware and Lehigh Valleys. As a result, for the next 41 years, 717 was the largest area code on the Eastern Seaboard. It was pushed slightly eastward in 1994 as part of the split of Philadelphia's 215, when a number of outer Philadelphia suburbs that were slated to transfer to 610 were instead shifted to 717. These areas were served by non-Bell telephone companies who wanted to consolidate their eastern Pennsylvania customers into a single area code.
By the mid-1990s, the proliferation of cell phones, pagers, and fax machines made it apparent that the region needed another area code. The 717 area code was split on December 5, 1998, when the northern portion (centered on Scranton, [Wilkes-Barre and Williamsport) became area code 570.
As of May 2005, the subscriber number pool of the 717 area code was allocated by 52%, with 48% still unassigned.
The 717 area code serves parts of sixteen counties in Pennsylvania.
- Adams County
- Berks County (portions of west)
- Chester County (extreme western portion)
- Cumberland County
- Dauphin County
- Franklin County
- Fulton County (all except a portion of its NW)
- Huntingdon County (Kishacoquillas Valley only)
- Juniata County
- Lancaster County (all except a portion of its extreme NE)
- Lebanon County (all except a portion of its extreme SE)
- Mifflin County (all except a portion of its extreme SW)
- Perry County
- Schuylkill County (Tower City is the only town assigned the 717 Area code, The rest of the county is 570/272, with some portions in 610/484)
- Snyder County (portions of south)
- York County
- North American Numbering Plan Administration
- List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 717 Area Code
|Pennsylvania area codes: 215, 267, 272, 412, 484, 570, 610, 717, 724, 814, 878|
|West: 814||area code 717||East: 610/484|
|South: 301/240, 410/443/667|
|Maryland area codes: 240/301, 410/443/667|