Ari Behn in 2013
|Other names||Ari Mikael Bjørshol|
Princess Märtha Louise of Norway
(m. 2002; div. 2017)
Ari Mikael Behn (né Bjørshol, born 30 September 1972) is a Norwegian author. He has written three novels, two collections of short stories and a book about his wedding. His 1999 short stories collection Trist som faen ("Sad as hell") sold in about 100 000 copies and received several favourable reviews. His books have been translated into Swedish, Danish, German, Hungarian, and Icelandic as well as French. In the spring of 2011, Ari Behn made his debut as a playwright with Treningstimen, directed by Kim Sørensen and staged at Rogaland Teater.
Behn was born in Århus, Denmark, and mostly grew up in Moss, Norway where his parents moved when he was six years old. He is the eldest child of Olav Bjørshol (b. 1952) and Marianne Rafaela Solberg (b. 1953). Both his parents are Waldorf teachers who have worked at the Waldorf School in Moss; his father has a degree in special education while his mother was trained as a Waldorf teacher. His parents married in 1973 but divorced after nine years; both since remarried, Olav Bjørshol to a daughter of André Bjerke. However, in 2007 Behn's parents remarried.
Behn's original surname was Bjørshol. In 1996, he changed his name to Ari Behn when he took his maternal grandmother's maiden name. The name Behn has German origin. He has two younger siblings, Anja Sabrina and Espen, neither of whom use the name Behn. In 2009, it was made public that Behn's de jure paternal grandfather Bjarne Nikolai Bjørshol was not his biological grandfather. Behn's father met his biological father, Terje Erling Ingebrigtsen (1933-2009), a retired car mechanic from Tromsø, for the first time, but Ingebrigtsen died before Behn had a chance to meet him.
Behn achieved some literary success in Norway with his first collection of short stories, titled Trist som faen ("Sad as hell"), which received several good reviews and has sold more than 100,000 copies. He subsequently published two novels; however, the reviews of these works were less positive.
Together with his wife, Princess Märtha, he has written a book about their wedding in 2002. He has also participated in various creative projects, for example, the design of china for Magnor Glassverk, and has been a model for a clothing chain.
Marriage and family
Behn married Princess Märtha Louise on 24 May 2002. They have three daughters: Maud Angelica (born 2003 in Oslo), Leah Isadora (born 2005), and Emma Tallulah (born 2008).
On 5 August 2016, the Royal Court announced that Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn had started divorce proceedings and intended to have joint custody of their three daughters. They were divorced in 2017.
Behn made the headlines of Norwegian newspapers in the autumn of 2006, when he revealed that he voted for the Norwegian Labour Party. His friendship with the former Minister of Culture and Labour leader Trond Giske has attracted criticism from newspapers and politicians. In January 2009, Behn received massive media coverage in the Norwegian press after going on a "personal vendetta" against former palace official Carl-Erik Grimstad, accusing him of spreading tabloid nonsense regarding Behn and his family.
In December 2017, Behn alleged that he was among a growing number of men who had been sexually assaulted by Kevin Spacey. He claimed that Spacey had groped his genitals in 2007, at a nightclub during the afterparty for the Nobel Peace Prize concert.
- Norway: Recipient of the Medal of the 100th Anniversary of the Birth of King Olav V
- Norway: Recipient of the Royal House Centenary Medal
- Norway: Recipient of the King Harald V Silver Jubilee Medal
- Netherlands: Honorary Knight Grand Officer of the Order of the Crown
- Sweden: Recipient of the 70th Birthday Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- Trist som faen ("Sad as Hell"), 1999, collection of short stories, 93 pages
- Fra hjerte til hjerte ("From Heart to Heart"), 2002 in collaboration with wife Märtha Louise, is a book about their wedding
- Bakgård ("Backyard"), 2003
- Entusiasme og raseri ("Enthusiasm and Rage"), a roman à clef published in October 2006
- Vivian Seving etc., 2009
- Talent for lykke ("Talent for Happiness"), 2011
- Announcement on divorce
- Ari forsonet med far - VG Nett om Prinsesse Märtha og Ari Behn
- Ari Behn – Norsk biografisk leksikon
- Han visste ikke at han var prinsessebarnas oldefar - kjendis - Dagbladet.no
- ari behn: Ari Behns bestefar er død - Se og hør
- Ari Behn bør stramme seg opp - VG Nett om Kongehuset
- "Prinsesse Märtha Louise og Ari Behn har bestemt seg for å gå fra hverandre [Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn decided to go apart]". The Royal Court. Retrieved 5 August 2016. (in Norwegian)
- "Her Highness Princess Märtha Louise". The Royal Court. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- Ari Behn stemmer Arbeiderpartiet (Adresseavisen)
- Karrieretrøbbel for Giske (Nettavisen)
- Ari Behn raser mt tidligere soussjef (Dagbladet)
- "Kevin Spacey 'groped Norwegian king's son-in-law'". BBC News. 8 December 2017.