Arkansas Highway 231
|Maintained by AHTD|
|Length:||5.79 mi (9.32 km)|
|South end:||US 412|
|North end:||AR 34|
|Length:||3.02 mi (4.86 km)|
|South end:||AR 90 near O'Kean|
|North end:||AR 304 at Sharum|
|Length:||6.12 mi (9.85 km)|
|South end:||AR 251|
|North end:||AR 93|
Highway 231 (AR 231, Ark. 231, and Hwy. 231) is a designation for three north–south state highways in northeast Arkansas. All three segments serve rural, agricultural areas in the Arkansas Delta. One segment of 5.79 miles (9.32 km) runs north from U.S. Route 412 (US 412) to Highway 34. A second route of 3.02 miles (4.86 km) begins at Highway 90 near O'Kean and runs north to Highway 304 at Sharum. A third segment of 6.12 miles (9.85 km) begins at Highway 251 and runs to Highway 93. All routes are maintained by the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD).
The highway begins at U.S. Route 412 (US 412) east of Walnut Ridge near the Cache River and the Green County line. Highway 231 runs north through an agricultural area before turning northwest and intersecting the Union Pacific Railroad line, which parallels Highway 34 through the region. Shortly after this at-grade crossing, Highway 231 terminates at Highway 34.
O'Kean to Sharum
Highway 231 begins in the southeast corner of Randolph County near the city of O'Kean at an intersection with Highway 90. The minor connector route runs due north along a section line to Highway 304, where it terminates near the unincorporated community of Sharum. The highway serves an agricultural area near the Black River.
Highway 231 begins at Highway 251 several miles northwest of Pocahontas near the Missouri state line. Odd-numbered Arkansas state highways are traditionally north–south routes, and as a result, are usually signed north–south even if the actual roadway alignment is east–west. This segment of Highway 231 runs west, passing through the unincorporated community of Hamil, to Highway 93, where it terminates.
|Lawrence||||0.00||0.00||US 412 – Walnut Ridge, Paragould||Southern terminus|
|5.79||9.32||AR 34 – Walnut Ridge, O'Kean||Northern terminus|
|Highway 231 begins near O'Kean|
|Randolph||||0.00||0.00||AR 90 – Delaplaine||Southern terminus|
|Sharum||3.02||4.86||AR 304 – Pocahontas, Delaplaine||Northern terminus|
|Highway 231 begins in northern Randolph County|
|||0.00||0.00||AR 251||Southern terminus|
|||6.12||9.85||AR 93||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
The segment between O'Kean and Sharum was adopted as a state highway by the Arkansas State Highway Commission on March 28, 1973. A section between Warm Springs and Middlebrook was also created at the same meeting. A section near College City between US 67 and the Walnut Ridge Industrial Park was added as a state highway on April 9, 1980. The section between Warm Springs and Middlebrook was swapped for the section between Highway 251 and Highway 93 at the request of the Randolph County Judge on November 6, 1980.
Middlebrook to Warm Springs
|Location:||Middlebrook to Warm Springs|
|Length:||7.5 mi (12.1 km)|
|Existed:||March 28, 1973–November 6, 1980|
Highway 231 (AR 231, Ark. 231, and Hwy. 231) is a former state highway in Randolph County, Arkansas. Created in 1973 and deleted in 1980, the route was approximately 7.5 miles (12.1 km) in length. The highway ran from Highway 115 near Middlebrook west to Highway 251 at Warm Springs.
|Length:||1.02 mi (1.64 km)|
Highway 231 (AR 231, Ark. 231, and Hwy. 231) is a former state highway in Lawrence County, Arkansas. Created in 1980, the route was approximately 1.02 miles (1.64 km) in length. The highway ran from US 67 near College City to the Walnut Ridge Industrial Park.
- System Information and Research Division (2014). "Arkansas Road Log Database" (MDB). Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- General Highway Map, Lawrence County, Arkansas (PDF) (Map). Cartography by Planning and Research Division. Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. January 22, 2008. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- General Highway Map, Randolph County, Arkansas (PDF) (Map). Cartography by Planning and Research Division. Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department. May 12, 2008. Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- "Minute Order 73-153" (PDF). Minutes of the Meeting. ASHC. March 28, 1973. p. 1121. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "Minute Order 73-154" (PDF). Minutes of the Meeting. ASHC. March 28, 1973. p. 1121. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "Minute Order 80-121" (PDF). Minutes of the Meeting. ASHC. April 9, 1980. p. 32. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "Minute Order 80-472" (PDF). Minutes of the Meeting. ASHC. November 6, 1980. p. 108. Retrieved March 31, 2016.