|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2013)|
|Sir Arnold Clark|
Sir Arnold Clark at his original Park Road branch in Glasgow
|Born||John Arnold Clark
|Organization||Arnold Clark Group|
Sir John Arnold Clark is a Scottish businessman, ranked #4 in the Sunday Times Motoring Rich List. He is chairman and chief executive of the Arnold Clark motor group, which has received the Automotive Management Retailer of the Year award in 2012, 2013 and 2014. In April 2015, the company celebrated its 60th year in business. 
John Arnold Clark was born in Glasgow in 1928. He joined the Royal Air Force (RAF) aged 17, and rising through the ranks as he was educated, Clark became a Corporal and a Motor Mechanics Instructor.
After leaving the RAF in the early 1950s, Clark got a job in car retail and saved up his money until he was able to purchase a Morris Ten-Four for £70, and after restoring it, sold it for a profit. Clark started buying and selling cars, opening his first showroom in 1954 in Glasgow's Park Road. After gaining his first retail franchise for Morris Motors in 1959, expansion continued with the purchase of existing sites and rivals in and around the Glasgow area.
Arnold Clark Automobiles
Arnold Clark Automobiles is now Europe’s largest independently owned family-run car dealership, with over 200 new and used car dealerships spread throughout Great Britain. The company sells over 200,000 cars per year, employs 9,000 people, and has an annual turnover of over £2.9 billion. The group currently has 24 new car franchises, some trading under the Harry Fairbairn subsidiary.
GTG Training was purchased by the Arnold Clark Group in December 2003. A new custom built conference centre, GTG Training, was officially opened in the regenerated Clydeside area of Glasgow in September 2007. The 61,000 sq ft (5,700 m2) centre is split into two dedicated sections; the fully operational transport division caters for every aspect in automotive training whilst the IT and business skills division provides a range of business skill training courses and a conference area. There are three GTG training centres.
- News: 2014 Sunday Times Rich List reveals wealthiest Brits in motoring | Driving.co.uk, Date Accessed: 6th October 2014
- Arnold Clark - AM Retailer Of The Year 2013, Date Accessed: 6th October 2014
- "In the driving seat for Arnold Clark, Date Accessed: 7th April 2015"
- Ecommerce Baozi, Date Accessed: 16th April 2015
- Reference for Business, Date Accessed: 16th April 2015
- "Car tycoon's pride at honour". BBC News UK. 2003-12-31. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- Central Car Auctions, Date Accessed: 16th April 2015
- "Arnold Clark turnover rises to record £2.9bn | Herald Scotland, Date Accessed 6th October 2014"
- Arnold Clark acquires Calterdon BMW in Inverness | Motor Trader Magazine, Date Accessed: 6th October 2014
- "Arnold Clark | Glasgow 2014 - Commonwealth Games, Date Accessed: 6th October 2014"