19 March 1910|
Russia, Novosibirsk, Russian Empire
|Died||October 19, 1986
Russia, Moscow, Russian SFSR
Quantum field theory
Elementary particle physics
|Institutions||Moscow State University|
|Alma mater||Tomsk State University|
|Doctoral advisor||Piotr Tartakovsky,
|Doctoral students||Igor Ternov|
|Known for||development of synchrotron radiation theory, Sokolov–Ternov effect|
|Notable awards||USSR State Prize (1976)|
Arseny Alexandrovich Sokolov (Russian: Арсе́ний Алекса́ндрович Соколо́в; 19 March 1910 – 19 October 1986) was a Russian theoretical physicist known for the development of synchrotron radiation theory.
Arseny Sokolov graduated from Tomsk State University (TSU) in 1931. He obtained the degree of Kandidat nauk (Candidat of Science, equivalent to Ph.D.) from TSU under supervision of Piotr Tartakovsky (1934). The degree of Doktor nauk (Doctor of Science) was obtained by him from Leningrad Ioffe Physico-Technical Institute (1942, at that time in evacuation in Kazan).
Then he moved to Moscow State University (MSU), where he held the positions of the dean of the Faculty of Physics (1948—1954) and the head of the Theoretical Physics Department at the Faculty of Physics (1966—1982).
- Together with Dmitri Ivanenko he worked on the development of the synchrotron radiation theory. His collaboration with Dmitry Ivanenko continued for almost 50 years.
- Together with Igor Ternov he discovered new quantum effects in microscopic particle motion such as Quantum Fluctuations of Electron Trajectories in Accelerators and the Effect of Radiative Polarization of Electrons and Positrons in a Magnetic Field known as Sokolov–Ternov effect. Arseny A. Sokolov was a member of the Soviet Communist Party, a dean and secretary of bureau of the Communist Party of the Physics Department of the Moscow State University.
- A. A. Sokolov, I. M. Ternov, Synchrotron Radiation, Elsevier, 1969. ISBN 0-08-012945-5.
- A. A. Sokolov, I. M. Ternov, Synchrotron Radiation from Relativistic Electrons (edited by C. W. Kilmister), American Inst. of Physics, New York, 1986. ISBN 0-88318-507-5.
- A. A. Sokolov, I. M. Ternov, and V. Ch. Zhukovskii, Quantum Mechanics, Imported Pubn., 1986. ISBN 0-8285-2967-1.
- A. A. Sokolov, I. M. Ternov, and V. Ch. Zhukovskii, A. V. Borisov, Quantum Electrodynamics, Mir Publishing Moscow, 1988 ISBN 5-03-000790-3
- A. A. Sokolov and I. M. Ternov (1953). Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 25: 698. Missing or empty
- Sokolov, A. A.; I. M. Ternov (1963). О поляризационных и спиновых эффектах в теории синхротронного излучения [Polarization and spin effects in the theory of synchrotron radiation]. Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR (in Russian). 153 (5): 1052–1053.
- A. A. Sokolov and I. M. Ternov (1964). "On Polarization and Spin Effects in Synchrotron Radiation Theory". Sov. Phys. Dokl. 8: 1203. Bibcode:1964SPhD....8.1203S.