Art Parkinson (born 19 October 2001) is an Irish actor from Moville in Inishowen, County Donegal, in Ulster. He began his professional acting career at the age of seven. He is best known for his role as Rickon Stark on the HBO series Game of Thrones, and Kubo in the film Kubo and the Two Strings.
Born the youngest of three boys, Parkinson was raised in Moville, a seaside village on the Inishowen Peninsula in the north of County Donegal in Ulster, Ireland. He is bilingual, having been educated at an Irish language school. His mother, Movania, is an actress who also runs a drama school which Art and his two older brothers, Pearce and Padhraig, have attended from a very young age. His two older brothers have also acted in several Irish and British television productions. While Parkinson is not working, he enjoys playing Gaelic football with his school friends at Moville's Gaelscoil Cois Feabhail. During an interview with Flicks and the City, Parkinson also mentioned that he was not allowed by his parents to watch Game of Thrones due to its R18 content, apart from a few scenes that were related to him. In a later interview published in the New Zealand Herald on 7 April 2015, Parkinson admitted that he was put-off watching Game of Thrones after seeing a three-year-old child getting his throat slit in one episode.
Parkinson played the role of 'Young Kenneth' in the movie Freakdog. He also appeared in the Irish horror film Dark Touch. In July 2014, Parkinson was cast in the 2014 American dark fantasy epic action Dracula Untold directed by Gary Shore. On 6 October 2014, Parkinson confirmed that his character and Natalia Tena's character Osha would not be returning for the fifth season of Game of Thrones. Parkinson also starred in the Hollywood movie San Andreas (2015) as Ollie, a ten-year-old boy caught up in a massive earthquake in California.
|2008||Freakdog||Young Kenneth||Paddy Breathnach|||
|2013||Dark Touch||Peter||Marina de Van|||
|2014||The Anomaly||Alex||Noel Clarke|||
|Shooting for Socrates||Tommy||James Erskine|||
|Dracula Untold||Îngeraș||Gary Shore|||
|Love, Rosie||Gary Dunne||Christian Ditter|||
|2015||San Andreas||Ollie Taylor||Brad Peyton|||
|2016||Kubo and the Two Strings||Kubo||Travis Knight||Voice|||
|2017||I Kill Giants||Dave||Anders Walter|
|Zoo||Tom Hall||Colin McIvor|||
|2018||The Belly of the Whale||Martin Lanks||Morgan Bushe|
|Game of Thrones||Rickon Stark||HBO||14 episodes|||
|2019||The Bay||Rob Armstrong||ITV||6 episodes|
Awards and nominations
|2017||Annie Award||Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production||Kubo and the Two Strings||Nominated|||
|2017||Behind the Voice Actors Awards||Best Vocal Ensemble in a Feature Film||Won|
|Breakthrough Voice Actor of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Male Lead Vocal Performance in a Feature Film||Nominated|
|2017||Online Film & Television Association||Best Voice-Over Performance||Nominated|
- "Stark fight for Irish language school to stay". The Sunday Times. 19 April 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- "Art Parkinson ~ Rickon Stark". Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Game of Thrones' Art Parkinson taking movie and television worlds by storm". Derry Journal. 5 April 2014. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Donegal to Hollywood for Art Parkinson". Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Art Parkinson Confirms Rickon, Osha Still AWOL". Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Game of Thrones' too gory for Art Parkinson". The New Zealand Herald. Australian Associated Press. 7 April 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "MOVIE REVIEW: DRACULA UNTOLD". Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "'Les Miserables,' 'Game of Thrones' Actors Join Universal's 'Dracula' (Exclusive)". Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- Hutch, Eleanore (19 March 2014). "ARTistic ability: Young Donegal actor Art Parkinson cast in action flick with The Rock". Evoke. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Dark Touch". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Guy Lodge, "Film Review: 'The Anomaly': Derivative and incomprehensible, Noel Clarke's shoestring sci-fi actioner doesn't live up to its title", Variety, 17 June 2014.
- Felperin, Leslie (4 June 2014). "Shooting for Socrates review – football soothes tension in 80s Northern Ireland". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Kit, Borys (26 July 2013). "'Les Miserables,' 'Game of Thrones' Actors Join Universal's 'Dracula'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Bradley, Bill (9 May 2016). "'Game of Thrones' Star Art Parkinson Shoots Down Shaggydog Theory". HuffPost. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- McNary, Dave (14 March 2014). "Young 'Game of Thrones' Actor Joins 'San Andreas'". Variety. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca (22 December 2014). "Matthew McConaughey, Charlize Theron, Rooney Mara Join Voice Cast for 'Kubo and the Two Strings'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- Wiseman, Andreas (11 May 2016). "'Game of Thrones' star to lead family-adventure 'Zoo'". ScreenDaily.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Game of Thrones: Cast". HBO. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "'Zootopia' and 'Kubo' Lead Annie Awards Nominations; 'Game of Thrones' and 'Civil War' Land Nods". Collider. 28 November 2016. Retrieved 28 November 2016.