Peyton at WonderCon 2015
May 27, 1978 |
Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, television producer|
Brad Peyton (born May 27, 1978) is a Canadian-born American film director, writer and television producer. He is best known for directing the 2015 disaster film, San Andreas.
Life and career
Peyton was born in Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. He graduated from the Canadian Film Centre. He first gained fame with a short film and gothic comedy entitled Evelyn: The Cutest Evil Dead Girl (2002). The film was initially shown to Peyton's classmates, who clapped in approval. Filmmaker Jeremy Podeswa thus suggested Peyton should also show the film to a lawyer in the film industry in New York. This allowed the film to be distributed among the filmmaking elite. Evelyn also appeared in the Toronto International Film Festival in 2002.
He then created and produced the claymation television series What It's Like Being Alone, which was picked up by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in 2006. One of Peyton's mentors is US actor Tom Hanks.
Following the success of Alone, Peyton went on to direct Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore in 2010. In 2012, he directed the hugely successful sequel to Journey to the Center of the Earth, entitled Journey 2: The Mysterious Island,  which starred Dwayne Johnson and grossed $325.9 million. In 2015, Peyton directed the disaster film San Andreas, which also starred Johnson. Peyton directed Incarnate which was released in Belgium in 2015.
Peyton has since signed on to direct the feature film adaptation of Rampage, as well as the San Andreas sequel; both of which will star Dwayne Johnson, marking their collaboration for a third and fourth time, respectively and will direct the feature film adaptation of Malignant Man produced by James Wan.
TV and film
|Beyond the Fields||Director||(short)|
|2002||Evelyn: The Cutest Evil Dead Girl||Director, Writer||(short)
Nominated—Genie Award for Best Live Action Short Drama
|2004||Bad Luck||Director, Writer||(short)|
|A Tale of Bad Luck||Director, Writer||(short)|
|2006||What It's Like Being Alone||Director, Writer||(TV series) (also executive producer)|
|2010||Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore||Director|
|2012||Journey 2: The Mysterious Island||Director|
|2013||Republic of Doyle||Director||Four episodes (TV series)|
|2014||Dr. Dimensionpants||Creator, Executive Producer, Writer||(Animated TV series)|
|2015||Pirate's Passage||Writer, Producer||TV Movie|
|Frontier||Director, Executive Producer||post-production (TV series)|
|2017 or 2018||Rampage||Director, Producer|
|TBA||Journey 3: From the Earth to the Moon||Director|
|San Andreas 2||Director|
Critical, public, and commercial reception to films Peyton has directed, as of August 16, 2015.
|Film||Rotten Tomatoes||Metacritic||CinemaScore||Budget||Box office|
|Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore||14% (96 reviews)||30 (22 reviews)||B-||$85 million||$112.5 million|
|Journey 2: The Mysterious Island||42% (125 reviews)||41 (27 reviews)||A-||$79 million||$335.3 million|
|San Andreas||50% (175 reviews)||43 (42 reviews)||A-||$110 million||$468.8 million|
|Average||35%||38||B+||$91 million||$305.5 million|
- Bill Brioux, "Weirdly cool animated show on CBC," Jam! Showbiz: Canoe.ca, June 24, 2006, URL accessed 22 January 2007.
- Stephen Cole, "Peyton's Place: Inside Brad Peyton's What It's Like Being Alone," CBC.ca, June 26, 2006, URL accessed August 29, 2006.
- http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=53676 URL accessed 7 August 2011.
- Kit, Borys (5 June 2012). "'Journey 2' Director In Talks for Disaster Movie 'San Andreas 3D'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Kit, Borys (June 13, 2016). "'San Andreas' Director Teams With James Wan for 'Malignant Man' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Brad Peyton". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Brad Peyton". Metacritic. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "CinemaScore". cinemascore.com. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Brad Peyton Movie Box office". boxofficemojo.com. Amazon.com. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brad Peyton.|
|This biographical article related to television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|