Art of the Trio 4: Back at the Vanguard
|Art of the Trio 4: Back at the Vanguard|
|Live album by|
|Released||September 28, 1999|
|Recorded||January 5-10, 1999, Village Vanguard, New York City|
|Label||Warner Bros. |
|Brad Mehldau chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
AllMusic awarded the album 4½ stars and in its review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine, he states "as this exceptional album proves, there is considerable emotion and feeling and plain excitement behind his music, even during the mesmerizing quiet sections". On All About Jazz, John Sharpe noted "Mehldau and his trio have changed and evolved since his early recordings and have now established their own, unique voice". JazzTimes reviewer, Josef Woodard commented "It's a live affair in more ways than one, full of the detours and shameless explorations on-the-fly that Mehldau is wont to make in the course of jazz duty. Mehldau's debt to the re-inventive impulse, and the classical instincts, in Keith Jarrett's playing are still identifiable, but his personal voice keeps emerging afresh".
All compositions by Brad Mehldau except as indicated
- "All the Things You Are" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) - 13:44
- "Sehnsucht" - 10:48
- "Nice Pass" - 17:35
- "Solar" (Miles Davis) - 9:54
- "London Blues" - 7:37
- "I'll Be Seeing You" (Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal) - 7:17
- "Exit Music (For a Film)" (Radiohead) - 8:53
- Produced by Matt Pierson
- Recorded by David Oakes
- Mixing by James Farber
- Mastering by Mark Wilder
- Art Direction and Design by Lawrence Azerrad
- Photography by John Clark
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Brad Mehldau The Art of the Trio, Vol. 4: Back at the Vanguard - Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2014-01-24.
- "Discography of Brad Mehldau". Retrieved 2014-01-24.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 989. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Sharpe, J., All About Jazz Review, December 1, 1999
- Woodard, J. Brad Mehldau Art of the Trio 4: Back at the Vanguard Review, JazzTimes, December 1999